Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable Backrest installatin/Lessons Learned

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 08:28 PM
Hardly Dangerous
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Detachable Backrest installatin/Lessons Learned

Some guys just like doing it themselves so they have something to write about in this forum! [sm=bicker.gif]

I just ordered the kit. I can't wait! [sm=bounceybounce.gif] C'mon, how hard can it be?

Old 03-25-2007, 03:25 AM
hdcopp
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a farmer from Montana it was a breeze everything is SAE.Frustrating is working on john deere where some bolts are SAE and some Metric.But then there's torx what the @#$! is that.Mostly look at the blow up picture you will be fine.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:28 AM
ironspirit_3
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Detachable backrest is cool once it's in place. It's just getting the damn thing in place. Being able to slip it on for the girlfriend to make her more comfortable and then removing it for my solo rides and keeping the bike clean looking is a great option. The next thing to look at is the backrest plate that holds the backrest pad in place.

Good Luck,
Jim

Old 03-25-2007, 06:03 AM
krgs2k
Cruiser

I found that my detatch kit went on much faster when I threw the instructions away. Who writes
these things?

Old 03-25-2007, 04:06 PM
hartick
Tourer

im doing mine on tuesday. really looking forward to it [:'(] has anyone also put on the stealth luggage rack at the same time. i havent decided if i will do it all now or wait on the rack.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:02 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Yep they suck and it took me an hour and a half to get through it, handle bar replacement was easier.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:16 AM
Lu
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: ci330guy

sweetlu...try this link courtesy of 07streetglide. I put the same kit on my bike last weekend and it was a bitch. One thing I dd that made for a much easier install was to remove the torx screws holding the bottom rear fender brace to rear exhaust brace. This made it easier to align the holes. Also, don't tighten until a screws are started.

The left side took about 4 hours of frustration...the right side took about 45 minutes after all the trial and error on the right.

Good Luck!
Rich
http://www.moatsfamily.com/Docking_Station_Install.pdf
Thanks, this helped tremondously. Took me about 3 hours in total.

I did not remove the torx screws holding the bottom rear fender brace, but I did use the saddlebag brace to lift, or press down to align the holes. Right side I did on my own, the left side, I needed my mother in law to help (Jesus she's pretty strong for her age).

Old 04-04-2007, 08:07 AM
jbhawley
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All HD needs to do...other than completely re-write the directions for installing the docking kit is to include one stoopid picture of where to install. see mine. I would have given my dog away for this pic when i installed mine kit a couple years ago. Need less to say, i still have my dog and finally got the kit installed, after about two hours. HD is notorious for giving the do-it-yourselfer shotty instructions. Even the service manual has a lot to be desired and i am very mechanically inclined and can READ. Sometimes it reminds me of the instructions on putting together a Christmas toy for the kids...
[ol][*]insert bolt A into slot C after you remove screw Z from pin Q but before you align rod W with slot D[*]repeat until completed.
[/ol]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2462/BCD7E96BA1D54B569938B2770BE39D4E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-22-2007, 02:58 PM
SIM
Outstanding HDF Member

LOL at Christmas instructions....with 2 kids I have experience with those particular directions. Thanks for the pic, I am sure it is going to help. I an considering installing the docking hardware on my 2 day old FLTR.

Could you guys post pics of your FLTR's with the sissy bars installed. I would like to see what it looks like finished on the bike.

TIA,
simcom

Old 06-22-2007, 03:23 PM
cowboyglide
Banned

I bought my SG last Sept for msrp and the dealer gave me 25% off any parts I added at time of sale and free labor for the installs so I bought the cruise control, removable sissy bar and docking hardware and they installed for free. Wish I could have afforded the black front fork package and oil temp gauge at that time.

Quick Reply: Detachable Backrest installatin/Lessons Learned