Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Event

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 03:16 AM
DC2009EGUC
Road Captain
Received 102 Likes on 50 Posts
Default ABS Event

Was traveling on a two way road at about 35MPG, glance over to the left for just a few seconds--then wham...saw two car going on full stop, tail brake lights lit like Christmas tree, then I slammed on foot brake and some on front brake...

Felt my foot brake started to pulsate, heard some sort of clanking noise, then I came to a full stop...I felt my heart skipped several beats.

Wow, my 09 Ultra w/ABS, saved my bacon today. I am so glad that I had this on my bike, it was well worth the $795 option the. Infact, even if this option was double the price, I would have still bought it.

- DC

Old 09-14-2008, 06:37 AM
electraride2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

paying attention to what was in front of you also would of saved you and you'd be $795 richer right now.....

Old 09-14-2008, 06:51 AM
jr_c6
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, if you never, ever expect to make a mistake (or anyone else around you), you will never need ABS. Of course, you may not really need brakes either - just keep 100' of space all around you and downshift really fast if needed...

After owning a bike with ABS I will never own one without it again.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:54 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Buy the ABS but also learn how to use all your brakes, not just rely on the rear. Practice emergency braking (whether you have ABS or not) and you will be glad you did. Too many riders rely much too heavily on rear braking alone and many do not even apply their front brakes. All I can say is that this has saved my as* a few times now and kept me out of accidents with unattentive cagers.
My next bike will have ABS.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:58 AM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jr_c6
So, if you never, ever expect to make a mistake (or anyone else around you), you will never need ABS. Of course, you may not really need brakes either - just keep 100' of space all around you and downshift really fast if needed...

After owning a bike with ABS I will never own one without it again.
I agree.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:34 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 100thRK
I agree.
I agree also.
And I dont have ABS.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Chula
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you didn't have an accident. From what I've read, ABS is a must on my next bike.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:19 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by electraride2
paying attention to what was in front of you also would of saved you and you'd be $795 richer right now.....
I'm trying to figure out this brilliant statement. How would paying attention to what was in front of him make him $795 richer? He already bought the ABS (wise move, BTW) whether or not he was paying attention.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:07 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

I guess I wont have to pay attention and can sight see when my bike gets here.
All kidding aside, I just traded a 07 that I love and took a big hit for ABS, I live in Miami and ride city traffic quite a bit, with the new arrivals and the blue hairs it is necessary for survival.

Originally Posted by electraride2

Old 09-14-2008, 11:05 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

In several close calls that I've had, I can say that about half were because the cager was using a cell phone to her ear at the time and oblivious to driving. If anyone needs to drive defensively, it's bikers and ABS certainly helps in that endeavor, and without ABS, learning to panic stop using BOTH wheels to their maximum advantage (without skidding).

Quick Reply: ABS Event