Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain Suit: Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 09:51 PM
IRready
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
Frogg Toggs will melt instantly in contact with a hot pipe. Yeah, you can ask me how I know.....

Caught in the heavy rain out in Sturgis two years ago, we couldn't help but notice the vastly superior reflectivity of the HD rain gear. Man, we could read the logos from half a mile away.
+1. Frog Toggs are inexpensive and comfy.... but will melt quickly. As far as the comments bashing HD rainsuits, obviously they will make decent rain gear as they should. I would say they understand MC. Most people I know who have them pay a little more but their siuts fit and hold up. My next rain suit will be a HD.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Candy King
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One good thing about HD is that you can check them out at your local dealer, instead of ordering from the computer. Sizing with clothes that you wear over other clothes is hard to figure.
I have the HD suit and really like it. The jacket is orange and black with reflective piping, very visible (and good looking too). The pants have heat resistant material on the inside of both legs, and they zipper all the way up and down on the outside of the legs (easy to get on and off).
I was luck enough to pick them up at the sales rack, but wouldn't regret it if I had paid full price.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:43 AM
99igor
Cruiser

No one has said anything here about Cabellas Gortex rain gear. I purchased a pair of their pants to replace the packable HD version that I melted on my pipe.

I was riding in the rain for at least an hour and a half.

I used the pants a while back and they worked like a champ. They have a zipper up the leg and are easy to get on and very light. I didn't expect they would work as well as the HD version but they did. When I got where I was going they dried out in about an hour.

I have been using gortex boots now for about 6 years and I have not had wet feet since. Before those I had a couple of occations where I had to pour water out of my boots.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:02 AM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

I have the Tourmaster Sentinel rainsuit. It costs a little less than HD but it works ok and has nomex heat shield panels. The jacket has a hood that goes under the helmet. I bought mine at a local Honda dealer. Too many times this year I have ridden in rain where I have to pull over because I could not see. This suit works. I had a problem with the first set of pants. I called Tourmaster customer service and they called the dealer where I bought them. I gave the dealer the old ones and the dealer gave me a new pair. It all of 2 or 3 minutes. The replacement was fine.

Last edited by GT_RoadGlide; 09-13-2008 at 01:15 AM.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:38 AM
born4bikn
Intermediate

Frog Toggs -They are light weight, and BREATH. When the rain quits, and the humitity go UP, you don't Melt from all the plastic some mfgs use. They fold small and easy to keep on your bike all the time.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:32 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Buy something with high quality and you'll probably never need another. Heat Shields on the legs a must!

Old 09-13-2008, 06:46 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoffy
Why are you being an azz? Because I said HD rain gear is great stuff? You are reading your own words into my statement. I did not say HD is the only stuff, and so what even if I did? What I did say is HD is good rain gear that will last you and not wear out. Because you have a problem with comprehension skills does not excuse you to treat people like crap.
Actually, what you said is "If you want it to last and if it's going to be used often, go HD." My reading comprehension skills are just fine. The problem is that, intentionally or not, your statement doesn't leave room for any other brand of rain gear and that is what I objected to.

The plain fact is, I don't give a rat's *** what you or anyone else wears, but people that dismiss every other option because it isn't their own should learn to be less narrow-minded.

BTW..............don't pay attention to xcelr8. He fancies himself an amateur psychoanalyst.

Getting back to the subject of this thread, I wear a Frogg Toggs top and a pair of Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0 bottoms. The Joe Rocket bottoms were a little pricey, but they do a great job and have heat-resistant legs.

Last edited by XTrooper3936; 09-13-2008 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:54 AM
Tin Man 1
Cruiser

I have the HD Packable rain jacket and pant. This will keep you dry but for me when it stops raining, even if for a short period of time, I have to get out of it. It is extremely hot. I would like to have the HD Gore-Tex Paclite rain jacket and pant, but its a little pricey.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:34 AM
Londonbike
Cruiser

If you want to pick crap off your exhaust still buy the Frog Toggs. I tossed them in the garbage while on tour in Virginia in June and bought Hd rainsuit. Should have bought Hd in the first place.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:25 AM
rapz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a BMW one piece suit that will protect you from hot pipes, has map pockets, and will keep you totally dry in a rain storm; I also have a two piece Tour Master that is good; but I also have cheap $1 panchos that I use more often due to south Texas heat. Each one has a purpose and it all depends on how dry I want to stay.

Quick Reply: Rain Suit: Which one?