Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide Handlebar swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 11:02 AM
rrsjs5
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raaze07
Any pix you can share? (with both bars, Wide Glide and the new mini-apes)
..here's some good info on an 07 bar swap....

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/264107-road-glide-handlebars-compared.html

Old 09-12-2008, 11:29 AM
helikenny
Advanced

I have the Heritage chrome bars on my RG for that exact reason. I'm 6'1'' with avergae reach. There are many bars out there to choose from, but the Chrome Heritage bars fit the bill perfectly. Because they are non-internally wired bars they are simple to install. Just be cautious of the wire pinching issues on the control clamps and remember to "shoehorn" the brake light switch with a small piece of cardboard. You'll love these bars!

Copter

Old 09-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Orion1369
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have got some pictures of the sensor out of the bar, the bar showing how much extra wire there is and I think I have a before and after but I have trouble posting them. Send me an email and I will send them to you when I get home for work tonight.
Orion1369@comcast.net

Old 09-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Raaze07
Any pix you can share? (with both bars, Wide Glide and the new mini-apes)
Riding pic = wide glide bars
Garage pic = mini apes

Attached Thumbnails Road Glide Handlebar swap-bars1.jpg   Road Glide Handlebar swap-bars.jpg  
Old 09-12-2008, 03:10 PM
ucommbxny
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is the link from RD GLD's post in the forum on handlebar swap
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/216315-08-rg-bar-replacement-install-pics.html
hope this helps, it can be done in a few hours taking your time. have service manual available it will help.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:42 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by danhahn
Bought a 08 Road Glide in July and love it except it kills my back after about 200 miles. I am blaming the bars, so I bought Heritage style bars from Harley. I have never changed bars before. Are there any surprises? Are the hand controls and wiring easy to make the switch?
The book says no cable changes required.
I would highly recommend that you consider changing the top clamps to the new one piece clamp. The stock clamps don't hold higher bars very well with the increased leverage. I also changed the stock rubber bushings out for neoprene. Here are some pics.

One piece clamp compared to stock clamps

Bushings compared

Top clamp installed

Also, you can trim the plastic around the lower clamp bolts out of the way so you can remove the bolts without having to pull the ignition switch. Note that I cleaned up the trip job after this picture was taken. The gauge console covers the trim job. It will all make sense when you tear into it.

Keep in mind that changing bars is not a real simple job for some people. They will say it was easy when it fact it can be a PITA if you aren't prepared. Make sure you have a manual, good tools, and some patience.

PM me if you need to.
Steve

Last edited by sifularson; 09-12-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:49 PM
calrickster
Advanced

Originally Posted by danhahn
Bought a 08 Road Glide in July and love it except it kills my back after about 200 miles. I am blaming the bars, so I bought Heritage style bars from Harley. I have never changed bars before. Are there any surprises? Are the hand controls and wiring easy to make the switch?
The book says no cable changes required.
Dan,
I've got an '08 Roadie an' didn't like the "hunched over" feeling I had (I'm 5'10") from the stock bars. I went for the Wild Ones Chubbys (1+1/4") #515's. I'm much happier but the install is a pain in the a**! Worth it but a pain in the a**!

Rick

Attached Thumbnails Road Glide Handlebar swap-img_4743.jpg  

Last edited by calrickster; 10-19-2008 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Corrected model # to 515's
Old 09-21-2008, 09:40 PM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

cal did you have to use longer clutch and brake cables ?? What abt TBW ?? enuff wire there ??

Old 09-22-2008, 04:08 PM
calrickster
Advanced

I didn't have to use a longer clutch cable, brake line or any extension to any of the switch wires or the TBW. The trickiest part is carefully releasing the plastic latch on the TBW connection to get it out of the stock bars. I f*cked up the locking latch on the TGS (Twist Grip Sensor) & decided to buy a new one for the comfort of knowing that the latch wouldn't vibrate loose over the next 10/20/30k miles, leaving me stuck somewhere wonderin' why the f*ck I no longer have throttle response, no? Another trick was to spray WD-40 into the bars to help slide the pack of wires & I tied a string to the bundle of wires to help pull 'em through.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:40 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

KHROME WERKS SWEEPERS

Quick Reply: Road Glide Handlebar swap