Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009, New Frame. Is a Watercooled Far Behind?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 12:24 PM
stevelacy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thread, evrybody chiming in... Fact is uncle sam will have the final say on the matter. The air cooled is just filthy at the exhaust, and being in a motorcycle is the only reason they haven't put a stop to it. The end is near!!

Old 09-11-2008, 01:06 PM
gary_montague
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not an oil cooled harley aka buell but super sized

Old 09-11-2008, 01:11 PM
StonerGlide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thomaskray
forget water cooled and diesel. when will we see a hybrid or full electric harley?
Now that's just plain sick!
Would have to have big honking stereo so I could play recording of '48 FL exhaust

Old 09-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by gary_montague
why not an oil cooled harley aka buell but super sized
I've kinda wondered this as well. A true, oil cooled design with the oil flowing near the exhaust valves, under the pistons, and all the critical areas. It could use two oil pumps; a high pressure, low volume for lubrication, and a low pressure, high volume for cooling. It works on BMW's R bikes but they have the benefit of both cylinders poking out in the breeze.
There are some that believe water cooling, by nature, will solve the *rider* heat issue. I'll argue that's just not the case. The hottest, most uncomfortable to ride in hot weather, motorcycles that I've ever ridden have been water cooled. Hot air still wafts up from the engines, and the radiator as well. Then when the fan comes on and blows it really gets uncomfortable.
On my K1200GT heat is a non-issue, but not because it's water cooled. It's due to plastic shielding (fairing), some insulation, and air flow being directed from the radiator and engine down under the bike. I don't see this look making it on a Harley though.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridewva
On my K1200GT heat is a non-issue, but not because it's water cooled. It's due to plastic shielding (fairing), some insulation, and air flow being directed from the radiator and engine down under the bike. I don't see this look making it on a Harley though.
Irony?

Attached Thumbnails 2009, New Frame.  Is a Watercooled Far Behind?-k1200gt.jpg  
Old 09-11-2008, 03:20 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Phurion
Irony?

Of all places, parked in front of the HD factory? :-) Gotta hand it to BMW on this one though. And what a motor!

Old 09-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Chula
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again with the water cooled question? When they are they are, and nobody can do anything about.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:48 PM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Phurion
Irony?

Not a very attractive bike is it .. It kinda looks like Darth Vader

Old 09-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by jsimo7
Not a very attractive bike is it .. It kinda looks like Darth Vader
LOL, it's an "acquired taste".

Old 09-11-2008, 06:11 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Worlok
What in the hell is wrong with some of you guys. The air cooled V-Twin is what makes a Harley, a Harley. Water cooled engines will not look remotely the same. I am all for modern technology, but there are some things that just does not need to change. I dont care how hot it is, i am going toride a real air cooled v-Twin forever. Water cooled Harleys are like painting the American Flag different colors, it just wont work.
If you want water cooled, there are a lot or metric cruisers that sell for much less than a Harley. What a bunch of weenies!
All I can say is welcome to the 21st century. Sure air cooled HDs are the way they are for the reasons they are. But HD is going to succumb to the politics of government. Thats the way it is whether we like it or not.
Whens the last time you followed a stinkin car exhaust, not since the 80's, and no more 300d Mercedes benz' thank god. It is evolution! And HD is the last air cooled m/c engine around, they cant last forever.
IMHO thats why they came out with the Vrod when they did, so it can be refined and tweeked to be ready for a future compliant engine platform.

Personally if they did put a vrod in all HD's there be a lot more fatalities, because the weekend wannabes will crash and burn with all the added HP. Besides the entrepreneurial minds of investors and engineers are thinking 10 years ahead of the times to make a better and ultimately a compliant vehicle.
Some will disagree, and some will shoot flames, but swami says its not a matter of if its going to happen, but when. I will run mine until it cant be resurrected anymore.

Quick Reply: 2009, New Frame. Is a Watercooled Far Behind?