Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009, New Frame. Is a Watercooled Far Behind?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 12:23 AM
cmcsns
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it far behind? I can only hope so, wayyy far behind!

Old 09-11-2008, 02:39 AM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few months ago there was an article in the Milwaukee paper about a couple of guys (retired HD) who built a V-twin diesel. Things always change.

A young engineer designed and developed a fuel injection system for Harley. Harley lent him a dyna to do a proof of concept. On a cold and snowy Michigan winter day I stood in his shed as he fired it up. No choke, just his electronics kept it smooth. It worked so well you could do a fourth gear roll on from around 25mph. And there were no throttle cables. Guess the year.

Try the mid 1970's. I don't remember the exact year but it was '73-'75. So the MoCo has had a workable FI system for over 30 years. When did it finally get on the bike???

Old 09-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Crusher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't wait for water cooled Harley. I'll be first in line. All you guys that say you will never own one are probably also the guys that said they would never own an electric start Harley, or Fuel Injected Harley, or computer controlled Harley, ABS Harley, Cruise Control Harley, etc, etc. If it weren't for change and technology it would be an awful boring place................

Old 09-11-2008, 08:36 AM
hawg08
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've gotten my head right...finally. It seems that everytime I buy a new one, it runs hotter than the previous one. If they don't SOMETHING they'll have to start including asbestos chaps with each new bike. I'd buy one.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:43 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member

Im quite sure you can sit on top of your water cooled car engine for the longest time...
Let us know how that works for ya.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Crusher
Road Master

Originally Posted by rocknrod
Im quite sure you can sit on top of your water cooled car engine for the longest time...
Given the choice, I would sit on top of my 180 degree water cooled car engine before I sat on top of my 250 degree NON water cooled car engine. The point is that we have to sit on top of the Harley engine. The cooler it runs the cooler we are. It's pretty simple I thought.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:35 AM
hawg08
Road Master

Originally Posted by rocknrod
If my car could be steered from under the hood I wouldn't see a whole lot of difference, heatwise, except not having a windshield.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:02 AM
speedkillsu2
Advanced
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Crusher
Can't wait for water cooled Harley. I'll be first in line. All you guys that say you will never own one are probably also the guys that said they would never own an electric start Harley, or Fuel Injected Harley, or computer controlled Harley, ABS Harley, Cruise Control Harley, etc, etc. If it weren't for change and technology it would be an awful boring place................
....and I will be second in line! Water cooling will be a MAJOR improvement!

Old 09-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Worlok
Tourer

What in the hell is wrong with some of you guys. The air cooled V-Twin is what makes a Harley, a Harley. Water cooled engines will not look remotely the same. I am all for modern technology, but there are some things that just does not need to change. I dont care how hot it is, i am going toride a real air cooled v-Twin forever. Water cooled Harleys are like painting the American Flag different colors, it just wont work.
If you want water cooled, there are a lot or metric cruisers that sell for much less than a Harley. What a bunch of weenies!

Old 09-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Crusher
Road Master

When the water cooled Harleys come out, this weenie will have an 2008 SG for sale. I'll offer it to you first............

Quick Reply: 2009, New Frame. Is a Watercooled Far Behind?