Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change oil before winter storage or in the spring?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

old oil has carbon it it and should be changed in spring if not kept in climate controlled atmosphere oil will have condensation and should be changed.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Homebrew101
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NoTyme
Winter storage? I live in Michigan and will ride at 30 degrees if it’s sunny and roads are salt less!!!
LOL, what about the months that are under 30? I live in WI and will ride down to 20 degrees but I still store it for a few months.

I change the oil/filter just before storing, add Sta-bill, hook up the battery tender and cover it.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:49 AM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Always before winter in Montana. Oh, I did that wherever I lived, so yes, BEFORE.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

When it comes to Cheap maintenance such as an oil change - even at $10/quart synthetic it is cheap compared to "what could happen" - I change my oil in fall before storage and in the spring, will change after the first 500 miles. then go my normal interval of every 2500 unless on long trip then it goes 5,000 miles. I take annual 4000 - 7000 mile trip - if trip is over 5000 miles, will change somewhere along the way.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The only way oil will get condensation in it is if the engine is started when it is cold out. The cooling process will invite moisture into the engine, exhaust, tank and elsewhere. So you should never start the engine during the winter months. Change the oil, wash&wax it, put a cover on it, plug the battery tender in and leave it until spring. Then start it up and ride. The first time the bike comes to operating temps, any amount of condensation that may be in the engine will turn to steam and exit via the crankcase vent. There is no need to change the oil in the spring if you have changed it already in the fall.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

I change my oil in the fall if it hasn't been changed within 1K miles.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:14 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I ride most of the winter,so I only change in the spring time unless it's due for change.Heated gloves are the best thing invented!!

Old 09-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago Spike
The only way oil will get condensation in it is if the engine is started when it is cold out. The cooling process will invite moisture into the engine, exhaust, tank and elsewhere. So you should never start the engine during the winter months. Change the oil, wash&wax it, put a cover on it, plug the battery tender in and leave it until spring. Then start it up and ride. The first time the bike comes to operating temps, any amount of condensation that may be in the engine will turn to steam and exit via the crankcase vent. There is no need to change the oil in the spring if you have changed it already in the fall.
I agree completely, the oil you put in during the fall change is just as good in the spring when you start it up. You are throwing away perfectly good oil if you change it again in the spring without putting your normal number of miles on it.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:44 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Windup08
I agree completely, the oil you put in during the fall change is just as good in the spring when you start it up. You are throwing away perfectly good oil if you change it again in the spring without putting your normal number of miles on it.
So, I'm throwing away $40 every spring. Big deal. Most weekends, I throw away more than that on cheap liquor and expensive women... or is it the other way around expensive liquor and cheap women... I keep forgetting. You do what you do, I'll do what I do.

For many years, engine manufactures recommended oil change intervals be based on miles OR time (i.e. 3000 miles or 3 months whichever comes first). Reason being - once the the oil starts to oxidize, the oxidation process does not stop just because the engine isn't being run. The oxidation process starts the first time the oil is brought up to operating temp - a natural byproduct of combustion is condensation. Most people, after changing the oil, fire it up - that introduces moisture into the crankcase which will now sit all winter. I prefer to play it safe and in my 25 years of riding, I've never had an engine failure of any kind.

My father did it that way, my grandfather before him (rode an old Indians and Harleys in the 40s and 50s).

Last edited by Weavr99FLHT; 09-10-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Rhinohd
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you guys really think it matters that much? Come on give me a break. This stuff cracks me up.

Fill er up with some stabil, top everything off, wash her up, plug it into a battery tender and DON't run it in the winter unless you're going to get it to full temp (this means ride it). It will be fine either way. You guys trade these bikes in before it would matter anyways...

Quick Reply: Change oil before winter storage or in the spring?