Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laid Her Over

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did that a few times (bad knees) before putting on the sidecar. Lot's of folks dump or drop the bike at one time or another and with bars it does little or no damage except to your pride. Lots of reasons why it happens, but we can eliminate one of them by staying off the front brake when stopping.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:26 AM
Real_Big_Tex
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you got that out of the way with no damage. Oh course you would have been even better off if you had scratched it a little so you wouldn't have to be worying about that first scratch anymore either. I haven't gone down, yet. Been close a few times but being a big guy, has helped me to catch it. I had one recently, in front of the Full Throttle Saloon in Sturgis, where I put my foot down and my trick knee gave out. Would have gone down but by dumb luck I hit the throttle and the bike shot forward and straightened up. Of course that had me aimed straight at the line of bikes parked in front of the saloon. Barely managed to get her under control in time. That was a bit of a pucker factor!

Old 09-09-2008, 10:28 AM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SLIP happens

Old 09-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Fast FLHX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone know the part number for crash guards for hard bags on 09 sg?

Old 09-09-2008, 10:45 AM
geeded
Cruiser

Yep, happened to me a few times over the last 38 years. Of course, it's one thing to drop a 350 lb '73 RD250 Yamaha when you're 23 and another to drop an 800 pound bike when you're 60. Luckily I learned how to do it smart now....but still embarrassing!

Cheers, geeded

Old 09-09-2008, 10:48 AM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

It always hurts our pride! Sometimes it's a good reminder to be humble. Glad everything worked out OK.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:01 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,770 Likes on 22,735 Posts

One year I happened on the remnants of a garage sale that was in a parking lot, so I rode my bike in there as no one else was there. Went around a table saw something that I thought I could use or something, backed up while turning the bike and lost my center of gravity, and bike started tipping over to my right side in slow motion, and I couldn't right it up. Saw a couple of guys behind a van earlier, and decided that I would have to make a decision right then and there, and either drop it (no engine guard) or swallow my pride and yell for help. Decided that it was better to swallow my pride and yell for help. The guys seen me, come running, and righted me up in about 2 seconds. I said Thank YOU, and they just said sure and walked away like it was not a big deal, and that was that. So hence forth(as he knocks on wood) I am careful when I back up and don't try to turn sharply all at once.

Last edited by lionsm13; 09-09-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

My (most recent) sorry-a#% story,

I have to remove my RK from the garage to get the riding mower out. Then I put the bike back and close the garage door so no dirt and stuff gets in the garage and on the bikes.

When finished mowing, I do it over. Take the RK out to the driveway and push the riding mower back in.

Last week, I finish the yard work and I was full of grass and etc. I pushed the mower back to inside and then took my yard boots off and toweled off the debri from my legs.

Went back out to the RK, pushed it inside the garage and as soon as my socks hit the painted floor....I started sliding to the left and couldn't keep the RK from going over. No freeking grip on the socks!!

The worst part, aside from my dumb *** move, was that it leaned slowly over onto my wifes bike and the front fender of the RK leaned hard on her crash bar and after picking up the bike (50yrs, new hip and plenty of knee surgeries) I noticed the fender had a nice silver-dollar-size dent.

I'm pissed and a broken man.

Blah...............

Old 09-09-2008, 11:50 AM
hogdvr
Cruiser

Go and try out for a drill team and see what goes on. Dropping bikes is the norm. It goes on all the time and is taken for granted. Ask any motorman how he learned and what went on at school. They drop their bikes HUNDREDS of times before they're done and graduate. For sure they don't own them so they don't care but they are on the ground none the less. Racing? Who has raced and never been on the ground? No one I know. LOL.

It hurts your pride for sure but it's no biggie. It's part of the mystic of being a BIKER.

Last edited by hogdvr; 09-09-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:10 PM
RoadKing_Al
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, I'm proficient at picking my bike up from the left and the right. Before I ever dropped her I was always thinking about it, now I don't even think about it. My fear was getting her back up.

Quick Reply: Laid Her Over