Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laid Her Over

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 07:27 AM
njdiver
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here, when 800 pounds of metal decides to lay down my 145 pounds isn't going to stop it. So far I've had 4 laydowns, none serious and no damage, just to my pride!!

Old 09-09-2008, 07:33 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I've done that exact same thing twice this year alone. lol... Yeah, it's embarassing to admit this, but what the heck... Both times were on a hill where the bike was leaning too far by the time my foot hit the ground. The first time was actually in public at a gas station. I hopped off the bike and got it back up in 10 seconds or less, trying to hurry so nobody noticed. lol!!!

The second time was in my driveway (on a hill again). Believe it or not, I picked that heavy beast up WHILE STILL ON THE BIKE. I have no idea how I did that. I gave it everything I had and managed to do it, but just barely. That was totally the wrong way to do it and I could've hurt my back or something, but oh well.

Both times were in super slow motion and I didn't get a single scratch on the engine guard or any other parts of the bike.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:40 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 503 Likes on 261 Posts

welcome to the world's LARGEST club.... wheter it's forgeting to put the kick stand up/down, gravel parking lot, oil slicked bank window/toll booth

We may not all wreck.... but we've all dropped it (or soon will)

Old 09-09-2008, 07:46 AM
Bossman1
Outstanding HDF Member

Those that have and those that will!! Only 2 options YOU ARE IN WELCOME and glad
only pride was hurt...

Old 09-09-2008, 07:55 AM
Chula
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No big deal.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:55 AM
pokeraddict
Cruiser

There are three classes of big bike riders. Those who have dropped their bikes, those who will drop their bike, and those who lie about not dropping their bikes.

I've done it twice and in both cases, many bikers were there to help me pick it up. How embarrassing!!!!

I rode smaller bikes for over 30 years and never dropped any of them. I've had my EGlide for about 8 months and have dropped it twice. Once when my foot hit sand on the pavement and once when it hit a puddle of oil. And I am certain that it will happen again.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:59 AM
rivercityslim
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Front Brake

Originally Posted by badlandr
as I was turning I saw a big oil patch. I hit the front brake to stop before I hit it and dropped the bike.
Hitting the front brake at slow speeds while turning will pull you and your bike to the ground like a magnet. Don't ask me how I know.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:05 AM
Fast FLHX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, happened to me the second day of having the SG after going from a sportster.

With the sportster doing that was no problem at all, and in fact I never noticed it even though in my MSF course it is drilled in your head never to stop in any position other than the upright position.

Stopped at a slight angle and used all my strength in my 5'6" frame to keep it up with my wife on the back......just barely kept it up. Now I make sure when I slow down that I am able to stop in a 100% upright position. Also going to see if I can get some bag protectors for when the day comes it does go over.

Originally Posted by rivercityslim
Hitting the front brake at slow speeds while turning will pull you and your bike to the ground like a magnet. Don't ask me how I know.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:06 AM
wallyMN99
Road Captain

Same thing happened to me. i was backing out of my garage and noticed something behind my bike, i reached down to move it and the bike started to go over. I caught my new SG with my neck as my head hit the wall and held it up. Ended up with some pinched nerves and a upper back ache for 2 weeks. But she never touched the ground.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:17 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyMN99
Same thing happened to me. i was backing out of my garage and noticed something behind my bike, i reached down to move it and the bike started to go over. I caught my new SG with my neck as my head hit the wall and held it up. Ended up with some pinched nerves and a upper back ache for 2 weeks. But she never touched the ground.
Holy crap!

Quick Reply: Laid Her Over