Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Technical exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 07:07 PM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Technical exhaust question

I have a question as far as slip ons go. When it comes to slip ons is it the baffle that makes a differance in sound and performance? Lets say Im gonna use a set of Big City Thunder Monster Baffles. What differance does it make if I put them in a Reinhart pipe or a Rush muffler? Technically they should sound and perform the same if the pipe is the same diameter. What Im getting at is why would you spend the extra money on the Reinharts if the end result would be the same.

Im asking this because Im kicking around the idea of a SG. I have a NT now with a set of Big Radius. When I put them on it was too quiet for me. I put in the Thunder Monster Baffles and it gave me more louder exhaust without the lose of back pressure.
I want loud pipes without the loss of backpressure and performance. I also decided that if I do get a SG Im going slip ons not a full exhaust. I dont want to lose any bottom end.

I was actually looking at the combo Fuelmoto has with the Jackpot mufflers, PCIII, and air cleaner.

Or am I looking in the wrong direction.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:17 AM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

No one?

Old 09-09-2008, 07:01 AM
blueflht
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as rineharts go i believe they have a different diameter than most mufflers. prolly why they have the least hp gain on most tests. if the baffle you want will fit in a less expensive pipe sounds like a good way to go. may check wild pig mufflers out usa made for around 160$ a set

Old 09-13-2008, 07:02 PM
grayboo
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default your big city thunder baffles

hello -
i tried to contact you directly but for some reason i had to reply to this thread, hopefully you get this.

anyway - have an 05' heritage classic. i love my bike. i bought it with extremely low miles on it last year basically stock. i put a set of rinehart flush (with the black end caps) on it and the sound is "okay". when i crack the throttle it really comes to life. but at idle and low rpm it doesn't impress me. to make things worse, the chrome has this bronzish tint to it (rinehart will say this is because of poor tuning, etc, but they looked that way right out of the box). i've seen it on other bikes on here. i don't like it. the pipes look great otherwise, nice and meaty looking.

to make a long story short, i just ordered a set of vance and hines big shots long and want to try out the thunder baffles. how do you like them and are they worth it? i'm wanting strictly sound here, as long as horsepower doesn't suffer terribly, i don' t really care about gains (okay, i do, but i'm after a deep rumble). did you install them on your bike yourself or have a dealer do it? i'm convinced this is the way to go but i am unsure about the thunder baffles as i have only heard them on youtube. now, i have heard the longshots with the v and h quiet baffles and they do sound pretty good. i'm just wondering if i shouldn't give the thunder baffles a shot first. it just worries me that you have to drill a hole in each pipe to install them. any information on this would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks!
-- grayboo