Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electraglide std or RK cust/classic???

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Buggz
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Electraglide std or RK cust/classic???

I presently have a street bob and want to move to a bike with bags, comfort and possibility of longer trips then I normally do. I like the look of the RK custom, even though they don;t make it anymore, I could trick out a EG std to be like a strgld, and I like the classic look of the classic. If you guys who actually have these models can put in your two cents, I make make a more informed decision.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:15 PM
blueflht
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i like the eg/ standard because you get the comfort of a touring bike but not the cost. also gives me a blank canvas to work from just my humble .02

Old 09-08-2008, 06:18 PM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I love the look of the Road King also, but if you want maximum comfort and plan on doing some real touring, than you'll want to go all the way and choose a model with a fairing. The Road King is a handsome bike and a nice compromise, but a compromise nonetheless.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:30 PM
PITA
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course I'm biased, but unless you get an ultra, I don't find a batwing alone to be much more protective than a RK's screen. Add in the convertability of a RK and the beauty of a harley tourer without plastics, then it was a no brainer to me.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:46 PM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PITA
I don't find a batwing alone to be much more protective than a RK's screen.
I honestly don't know how anyone who has done any touring at all with both bike types could make this statement with a straight face. Especially in colder and/or wet weather, the fairing undeniably provides better protection.

Last edited by XTrooper3936; 09-08-2008 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:56 PM
storm8732
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

My brother went from a Street Bob to a RK classic, I went from a Fat Bob to a Road King Classic. Neither of us are long distance riders...It is great to have bags though even for short trips or even going to the store to get something real quick. I took my windshield off for summer riding....it will go back on when the temps drop below 50 though. However.....if you plan on doin a lot of long distance stuff....I would get an ultra or at least something with a batwing fairing for sure.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:04 PM
gliderman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have been wondering if the aftermarket fairings for the RK (Dragonfly, Dead Center) provide as much protection and are made as well as the stock fairing? If they are, then you can get a RK and purchase one of the aftermarket fairings, slap in a stereo and have the best of both worlds...

Old 09-08-2008, 07:24 PM
PITA
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XTrooper3936
I honestly don't know how anyone who has done any touring at all with both bike types could make this statement with a straight face. Especially in colder and/or wet weather, the fairing undeniably provides better protection.
Face is straight, nose kinda crooked though.

Better around the hands yes, which means little to me since I plug my gloves into my jacket when cold. Otherwise, no big diff. in comfort, and I hate the buffeting that I got from a low screen version that I tried.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by PITA
Face is straight, nose kinda crooked though.

Better around the hands yes, which means little to me since I plug my gloves into my jacket when cold. Otherwise, no big diff. in comfort, and I hate the buffeting that I got from a low screen version that I tried.
Were you standing on the seat, a la Indian Larry (RIP)? There's a HUGE difference when distance riding between a Road King with a windshield and an Electra Glide with a fairing!

Old 09-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Printer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 08 black RKC which I think is great. I would not trade it for anyother bike. All Harley are good. It depends what you want.
CW

Quick Reply: Electraglide std or RK cust/classic???