Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose Shifter Lever

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008 | 07:22 PM
SgtThump
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Northside
I could tell my splines on the shaft were not perfect, but they looked "pretty" good, however when I mec'd the shaft it was under size. I was a tool & die maker for 35 years so I see stuff better than most. The lever couldn't clamp properly. If it became a chronic problem for me, I'd install a small set screw into the lever and just dimple the shaft (by drilling through the set screw threaded hole) that would secure the lever to the shaft without weakening the lever or shaft much.
I read where a few people said the inside of the spline was actually smaller than the outer edge, causing the toe shifter to not fit tight enough (and the heel shifter to be fine.) Do you think it was designed that way (which would be goofy I guess) or is that from wear?

Old 09-08-2008 | 07:23 PM
SgtThump
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
With that combo(green and red)that should not loosen up!
I have used the green #609 at work a lot of times for bonding cylindrical parts.Once that cures,it's like the part has been welded.
No kidding? Dang. I have some blue here. I thought green was the lighter weight stuff, blue was in the middle, and red was the heavyweight stuff that was super hard to get off stuff once it's cured?

If that's true and the green is good for the spline, I don't think I'd try the blue (or red!)

Old 09-08-2008 | 07:29 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member

Green is made for bearing to shaft clearance, or bearing to seat clearance, so it works pretty well.

Old 09-08-2008 | 07:34 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member

on my 07 Ultra the entire shaft fell out with both shifters on it. H~D warranty took care of it

Old 09-08-2008 | 07:55 PM
screws4156
Road Captain

I had the same problem on my '06. Turned out that the Dealer had gotten the fwd and rear levers mixed up I reversed them and the problem vanished. Hated the feeling of hitting the toe shifter and feeling it slip over the splines. Almost like hitting the brake pedel in your car and feeling it go to the floor.

Old 09-08-2008 | 08:06 PM
SgtThump
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by screws4156
I had the same problem on my '06. Turned out that the Dealer had gotten the fwd and rear levers mixed up I reversed them and the problem vanished. Hated the feeling of hitting the toe shifter and feeling it slip over the splines. Almost like hitting the brake pedel in your car and feeling it go to the floor.
I figured they were the exact same levers? Now that's interesting... Hmmm... I'll have to check that out on mine.

Old 09-08-2008 | 10:22 PM
rhoppe
6th Gear

Mine were good until I removed them once. I couldn't get the toe shifter tight enough until I put a bit of oil on the head of the allen bolt where it mates to the shifter. This allowed me to actually tighten the bolt sufficiently to clamp the shifter to the splines. There was too much friction between the bolt and the shifter mating surfaces without lube.

Old 09-08-2008 | 11:17 PM
arthur
Road Master
Default loctite worked

Originally Posted by SgtThump
So loctite is really that strong? Dang... That's the easiest solution and I think you're the second person I've seen that says it works. Shoot, I should just try that sometime.
Similar thing here. Actually have lost 2 of them on the road somewhere. Cleaning and the loctite seemed to have done the trick.

Old 09-09-2008 | 12:10 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member

I use the heel shift all the time, and haven't noticed any loosening of the lever.

Old 09-09-2008 | 01:56 AM
hogdoctor
Tourer

this is a very common problem, I think due in part by bolts being installed dry and thread friction keeps it from getting a proper clamp load on the spline. I'll put the locktite on the spline and oil/grease the bolt, then tighten the snot out of it. Stay with a grade 9 allen socket head bolt.

Hogdoc

Quick Reply: Loose Shifter Lever