Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Only those who have made this modification:

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008 | 08:43 PM
cruise_carter
Road Captain

minimal noise on mine, doesn't bother me at all.

Absolutely worth doing!

Old 09-08-2008 | 10:25 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member

I have over 20000 miles on my gear drive cams...........no extra noise here at all.

It all depends on your pinion runout and how tight the gears are.

Steve

Old 09-08-2008 | 10:34 PM
Roaddog359
Cruiser

Originally Posted by maineultraclassic
I have over 20000 miles on my gear drive cams...........no extra noise here at all.

It all depends on your pinion runout and how tight the gears are.

Steve
I thought gear driven cams where said to be quieter and better than chain driven cams? NOW I AM CONFUSED

Old 09-08-2008 | 11:20 PM
Howards End
Novice

I was thinking of putting this in myself. I was curious on a 1 to 10 scale, how difficult is it?

Old 09-09-2008 | 05:06 AM
notlost_nc
Road Master

I couldn't stand the noise....changed to the Andrews conversion and all is well again. My runout was .002

Old 09-09-2008 | 05:42 AM
wrustywrench
Cruiser

my runout was in spec for the switch.. I did th efueling cam plate and pump,, ansdrews gear drive and 37 g cams. Bought all the tools and did it myself. A easy fun job.

I get a "slight clatter" when shutitng off the bike. You can tell its the gears rocking back and forth as the motor stops. And I have a small amount of click , lifter noise. But, I used the fueling HP lifters...so i rekon it is fine.

Bike sounds whicked nasty at idle...and runs like a champ. The feuling oil pump really woke up the pressure and flow.
Yes, it is a wee bit noisier,, but who gives a ****, its a harley,,,I love a motor that lets me know its runnin. do it,,, you wont regret it.

Old 09-09-2008 | 06:58 AM
RK05
Advanced

I can only hear a slight whine with mine as I'm just giveing it a light throttle. I have a supermeg and my bike is pretty quiet so that may be the reason I can hear it.

Old 09-09-2008 | 07:49 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior

no one ever walked up to my bike and asked about a whine. when i traded it in two weeks ago the dealer couldn't tell the gear drive was there and he looked it over really good and found things i hadn't noticed. i had put 68K miles on it 30K of it with the gear drive, Andrews 21Gs that are as close to H-D stock as they make. I just wanted durability not extra performance.

Old 09-09-2008 | 10:21 AM
bazam9s
Road Master

Originally Posted by Howards End
I was thinking of putting this in myself. I was curious on a 1 to 10 scale, how difficult is it?
Hey Howards End...I am also planning on doing a gear drive change. I started another thread on the touring model forum called "Cam Install". Got some great info and instructional links from these guys on the forum. You definetly need a manual and these guys conviced me that it is doable. So with their help, I'll give it a shot.

by the way...where around Boston are you?...I'm in Revere!

Old 09-09-2008 | 10:28 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

There are a few factors affecting noise with the gear drive conversion. Cam profile, spring tension, and backlash all affect gear noise. Additionally the type of pushrods and roller rockers can add to the complete noise picture. Hope thios helps.

Quick Reply: Only those who have made this modification: