Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do Monster Ovals sound like?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008 | 02:17 PM
flyingace
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Here is what V&H Monster Ovals sound like:

Ok, Ive had a lot of inquiries about my Monster Oval muffers. So here is a video shot from on the bike going down the road, so you can hear what they sound like from the riders point of view:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8qorWsL8ac

Here is another Monster oval owner doing drive-by passes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVqjN...eature=related

These are great mufflers if you like a nice deep tone, but don't want a loud system. They are both louder and deeper than the current 4" Screamin Eagle mufflers, but not TOO loud. They do NOT have the "crack" of the regular V&H Ovals. Hopefully you can get a good sense of what they sound like from the two videos. Listen with good speakers and turn the volume up a bit. For what its worth, I tried the Street Legal SE mufflers on my 07, and found them TOO quiet for my liking. The monsters are perfect if you want stereo friendly, but still want your bike to sound good.

Last edited by flyingace; 09-08-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-08-2008 | 02:25 PM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp

I heard a bike with them when we were at Sturgis. They had a nice deep tone to them. I only heard them at a real low speed (just faster than walkin' the bike), but at that speed, they sounded similar to the Rineharts I thought (which is what I have).

I'm at work now so I can't view the videos that were posted due to the filters blocking YouTube.

Old 09-08-2008 | 02:29 PM
kmmcgra
Tourer

I'm pleased with my Monsters. Deep and throaty. Can hear the stereo much better then original installed Ovals.

Old 09-08-2008 | 02:40 PM
flyingace
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Ya know, I never realized how much I sound like a baritone version of Kermit the Frog until now.

Old 09-08-2008 | 07:16 PM
flyingace
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by kmmcgra
I'm pleased with my Monsters. Deep and throaty. Can hear the stereo much better then original installed Ovals.
I agree (had the regular ovals on two prev. bikes)

Old 09-08-2008 | 08:57 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

Ok Ace. You were on the bike while filming this. And ride it all the time too. After watching your own video how close would you say the video comes to representing the true sound of the monsters??? If they sound as good as they seem to on the video I may be looking into a set if I find a real great deal. They do have a similar low rumble like the Rineharts.

Old 09-08-2008 | 09:12 PM
flyingace
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Monstermile
Ok Ace. You were on the bike while filming this. And ride it all the time too. After watching your own video how close would you say the video comes to representing the true sound of the monsters??? If they sound as good as they seem to on the video I may be looking into a set if I find a real great deal. They do have a similar low rumble like the Rineharts.
Of course it depends on your computers speakers, but if you have a half decent set of speakers, thats really what they actually sound like. My wife was shooting right over my shoulder, so the microphone on the camcorder was right by my ear. When I had the Street Legal SE mufflers on (my 07) they sounded ok at idle, but were almost silent when moving. The monsters maintain that deep low rumble when your cruising.

The second video, shot by someone else, in my opinion is CLOSE, but does not quite have the deep tone.

One thing I forgot to mention in the video, is a couple of times as Im accelerating, you hear a sucking noise. Thats my Heavy breather sucking in air, not the mufflers.

Last edited by flyingace; 09-08-2008 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-08-2008 | 09:23 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

Would ya say they are louder or comparable to Rineharts??? I'm sure you may have heard them. There are a few people that have 'em.

Old 09-08-2008 | 09:28 PM
flyingace
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Monstermile
Would ya say they are louder or comparable to Rineharts??? I'm sure you may have heard them. There are a few people that have 'em.
Rineharts are a quite a bit louder. I had a buddy with duals/Rineharts on his 07 SG. I always liked the sound, but they were just too loud for me. (for any length of time) Here is my (opinion) on volume on what I have heard and/or owned:

1. Stock
2-3. Street Legal SE
4-5. Monster Ovals
6. Standard Ovals
7. Rineharts
9. Thunderheader
10. Strait Pipes

I DO think the monsters have the TONE of the Rineharts, without the volume.

Last edited by flyingace; 09-08-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-08-2008 | 09:37 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by kmmcgra
I agree also. I have regular ovals and they have a "sharp" sound when I get on the throttle. They are also fairly loud. Not as loud as Rineharts IMO.

Those monsters sound awesome!

Quick Reply: What do Monster Ovals sound like?