Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do Monster Ovals sound like?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008 | 12:19 AM
flyingace
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Monstermile
Damn that sucks. Because IMO the Rineharts are not loud at all.
Monster,

Let me clarify:

I have never RIDEN my buddys with the Rineharts. In fact, I don't recall ever riding BEHIND him. So when I say they are louder than my Monsters, or my Standard ovals, the only reference I have, is sitting next to him Idling, or him reving his motor while standing still. Not from ON the bike going down the road, or riding behind him for any length of time, as this particular guy always wanted me to ride lead.

I distinctly remember though, thinking that I liked the tone of his better than my standard ovals, but that they WERE louder than my ovals, which are louder than my Monsters.

Now, The other thing I have to qualify, is that when I say a certain pipe was too loud for my liking, Im talking about long term. I love the sound of the Rineharts. Hell, I love the sound of the Thunderheader. But to listen to either all day on an 8 hour ride, is too much for me. Well, maybe not too much, I'd just rather not.

The monsters are the first relatively non-loud pipe I have found, that actually still sounds good going down the road. The Street Legal SE's I tried were ok at idle, if not a bit too quite, but they are damn near silent going down the road. All I could hear was my lifters ticking. No exhaust.

The Monsters are very CONSISTENT. You can hear in the video that even when I drop down a gear, and go to WOT, they stay relatively the same volume and tone. BTW, I was going 85 when I let off in that clip.

Its all so subjective, I know. Seats and Mufflers are a BITCH to try and compare, other than doing it yourself, which can get quite spendy.

Old 09-10-2008 | 12:21 AM
cabbage
Tourer

maybe its my computer, but it sounds like an exhaust by singer.

Old 09-10-2008 | 12:22 AM
flyingace
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bikerbehaviorist
Was that a stock stereo with your wonderfully eclectic choices of music??
Stock stereo, but with Hogtunes Ultrasound. Hogtunes on all 4 speakers, plus amp driving the fronts.

Old 09-10-2008 | 12:26 AM
cabbage
Tourer

i think that exhaust looks awesome...love to hear it in real life, i think my laptop isnt doing the sound justice

Old 09-10-2008 | 11:44 AM
flyingace
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cabbage
i think that exhaust looks awesome...love to hear it in real life, i think my laptop isnt doing the sound justice
I promise you your laptop speakers are NOT doing the sound justice.

Old 09-10-2008 | 01:04 PM
Chula
Outstanding HDF Member

Ace

Great tread. Love the video and appreciate the info.

Old 09-10-2008 | 01:41 PM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior

sounds good ,but in your 2nd vid.i really liked the stop light on the tour pack.that's something i need

Old 09-10-2008 | 10:24 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by ww1flyingace
Monster,

Let me clarify:

I have never RIDEN my buddys with the Rineharts. In fact, I don't recall ever riding BEHIND him. So when I say they are louder than my Monsters, or my Standard ovals, the only reference I have, is sitting next to him Idling, or him reving his motor while standing still. Not from ON the bike going down the road, or riding behind him for any length of time, as this particular guy always wanted me to ride lead.

I distinctly remember though, thinking that I liked the tone of his better than my standard ovals, but that they WERE louder than my ovals, which are louder than my Monsters.

Now, The other thing I have to qualify, is that when I say a certain pipe was too loud for my liking, Im talking about long term. I love the sound of the Rineharts. Hell, I love the sound of the Thunderheader. But to listen to either all day on an 8 hour ride, is too much for me. Well, maybe not too much, I'd just rather not.

The monsters are the first relatively non-loud pipe I have found, that actually still sounds good going down the road. The Street Legal SE's I tried were ok at idle, if not a bit too quite, but they are damn near silent going down the road. All I could hear was my lifters ticking. No exhaust.

The Monsters are very CONSISTENT. You can hear in the video that even when I drop down a gear, and go to WOT, they stay relatively the same volume and tone. BTW, I was going 85 when I let off in that clip.

Its all so subjective, I know. Seats and Mufflers are a BITCH to try and compare, other than doing it yourself, which can get quite spendy.

I think alot of it has to do with my hearing. Or lack thereof. Too many rock concerts and other ear damaging things. I know this because of the amount of people who think the D&D Fat Cat is loud. When I had mine I thought it was pretty tame. Same with my Rineharts. Of course I have heard some people say that the Rinehart slip-ons, which I have, are not as loud as the True Duals.