Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much is trade worth?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008 | 10:19 AM
buffalo bill
|
Novice
Exclamation How much is trade worth?

I was looking at 09 SG and RKs, and I like the new look (larger tire & fender) also a few other mods. Question is, How much can I expect on trade from my 05 RKC which I consider to be in flawless condition (vivid blk) mostly stock with just a few simple mods (new hdlbars) and some chrome trinkets. Some of you with new bikes must have traded, I no the number might be low but I cant afford a big hit, Paid 15000 for RKC 2 yrs ago this month. What is fair? Bike has just reached 16000 mi, got 4500 from sturgis trip this year. Thanx in advance.

Old 09-08-2008 | 10:34 AM
hogdvr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by buffalo bill
I was looking at 09 SG and RKs, and I like the new look (larger tire & fender) also a few other mods. Question is, How much can I expect on trade from my 05 RKC which I consider to be in flawless condition (vivid blk) mostly stock with just a few simple mods (new hdlbars) and some chrome trinkets. Some of you with new bikes must have traded, I no the number might be low but I cant afford a big hit, Paid 15000 for RKC 2 yrs ago this month. What is fair? Bike has just reached 16000 mi, got 4500 from sturgis trip this year. Thanx in advance.
I won't argue with your logic that a low mileage trade is worth more than a high mileage trade. BUT, I will say that if you buy a bike as an investment you already started on the wrong foot. Personally, IMO it is a toy. As such it should be used for fun and used as much as one has the time and money to enjoy it. When it stops being fun OR you no longer have the time and/or money to enjoy it it should be sold and whatever it's worth it's worth.

I think for me at least making a decision on when to ditch my ride based on the "market" or "dealer deals" makes no sense. That being said I do appreciate that there are those that do want or need a new ride every year or so for various reasons and need to address this question. GL.

Old 09-08-2008 | 10:55 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member

If getting all you possibly can out of your bike is your goal, you will do better by selling your bike yourself and buying the new one instead of trading.

Dennis

Old 09-08-2008 | 11:09 AM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member

Actually this is the wrong time of year to sell, but you'll always do better selling than trading. Go talk to the dealer, and see what they will offer. Then you've got some basis for knowing what to ask. Can't hurt. You can always walk out smiling and know you'll be happy keeping your 05. I've wrestled with the exact same issue, and I've decided to keep my Road King. When I go new, I'm going to try and just buy outright and keep the King for when my sons come home to visit. If it feels right, do it. If it feels like you're getting screwed, walk away. It will haunt you if you don't. Good luck on your decision.

Old 09-08-2008 | 01:41 PM
blueflht
Road Warrior

try kbb.com for retail and wholesale prices on your bike. remember addons are free on a trade!

Old 09-08-2008 | 02:01 PM
acevtwin
Novice

As you all know, ever since Harley flooded the market with bikes in 03, used bike value has been low. I think that we all expect more from our used bikes than they will really bring.

Old 09-08-2008 | 02:33 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member

You can sometimes get a good deal trading. You can take the extras off and sell them yourself. You then get a break on the tax off the new bike. Best bet would be to go in and see what the dealer tells you.

Old 09-09-2008 | 11:48 PM
2007 ultra c
Cruiser

When I bought my 07 ultra the dealer offered 10500 trade in on a 2000 fatboy (LOTS OF CHROME) sold it myself for 15000

Old 09-09-2008 | 11:59 PM
jbob
Cruiser

They offered me about $12000 wholesale on a trade for a new bike. The bike would bring $16000 any day as used bike in the dealership. I just laughed and decided to keep my 07.

Better think on that one, do you like your money better than giving it to them?

Old 09-10-2008 | 12:02 AM
pop1
Road Warrior

I bet they offer you about $10500. Let me know how far off I am.

Quick Reply: How much is trade worth?