Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Penske Shocks - awesome experience at Motorcycle Metal

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 07:31 AM
edellavedova
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Penske Shocks - awesome experience at Motorcycle Metal

I went to see Howard from Motorcycle Metal (http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/gpage1.html) to talk about Penske shocks for my 2008 Street Glide. Howard is FastHarley on this site.

Well, we did much more than talk. Howard spent over three hours with me. First we went riding down some pitted, rolling side roads so that I could feel the ride with my stock shocks. I was bouncing up and down on the seat like I was riding a bucking bronco. Then I road Howard's bike - a dyna with penske shocks and a custom front suspension - and the ride was completely different. Very smooth and I could comfortably ride the bad roads at about 15 - 20 mph faster. He ensured me that the ride would be better on a touring bike - his bike is set up for speed and cornering. I was sold - I wanted the Penske 8300 shocks.

Howard wasn't done though. We went back to Howard's shop and he installed a pair of the shocks on my bike and we went back over the same roads again. The ride is completely different and very much improved. The first thing I noticed is that cornering feels much better. I could be much more aggressive in the turns, and I am not an aggressive rider. The bumps were all smoothed out, and this was without adjusting the shocks to my specific size, riding style, etc. I only popped up off of my seat once - and it was over a pot hole that I was afraid to ride over with my stock shocks - and I barely came off of the seat. Well, when we got back to the shop I ordered the shocks and Howard's front-end suspension.

The only disappointment was having to put my stock shocks back on the bike - I can't wait for the Penske's to arrive.

Howard is a great guy. If you live anywhere in South Florida you really need to do yourself a favor and go see him. He's in Davie. You won't be disappointed and I think you'll appreciate the amazing improvements to your bike's ride quality that Howard can provide.

Even better, if you ride two-up, bring your lady. My wife couldn't make it - but I'm sure she would have really appreciated how good shocks feel when she's on the bike.

Eric

Old 09-07-2008, 07:38 AM
jferna
Cruiser

Thanks for the first-hand review. I saw a previous post about this guy and went to the website. There is a wealth of info on that site and am sold on the product.
Now, I just need to save some $$ and pull the trigger !

Old 09-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Lt James
Tourer

Penske and Ohlins are the top of the food chain when it comes to shocks. Had them on the last two sport bikes I owned before I made the jump to H-D. Expensive, but in this case you get what you pay for.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, Howard is a very helpful guy and the Penske's are a "Must Have" for anyone considering new shocks. Progressives are just better crap than the stock, but they are still crap, yes even the exhaulted 440's pale in comparrison. If you are thinking of spending the $600 or more on the Progressive 440's, don't. Save a few more bucks and get the Penske's, they ARE THAT much better

Old 09-07-2008, 01:06 PM
ironhead3fan
Road Master

WOW, $500 a piece? My bike doesn't ride that bad! These are probably much better than stock, but I don't have a grand to spend on rear shocks.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Biff_H
Advanced
Default Shocks

2 questions web site does not list the stock you talk about Penske 8300 and what did you pay for them.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:24 PM
J2X
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Very informative. Can carbon fiber wheels be chromed? Or is this a dumb question?

Old 09-07-2008, 02:28 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Lightbulb Chrome?

Originally Posted by J2X
Very informative. Can carbon fiber wheels be chromed? Or is this a dumb question?
Yes they can be Chromed, Gold, Copper, or Platinum plated (locally to me in Davie, FL) as well as candy paint to see the C/F thru the paint as well as metal flake or regular painted such as a fiberglass boat/car. IMO it weighs too much. As edellavedova just experienced on my bike, not too many people will get a glimpse of you. They are much faster and you will not believe the performance increase. You will not want to sit around BS'ing when you could be riding. Let them eat cake, I'm riding!

Old 09-07-2008, 02:54 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Just ride them

Originally Posted by ironhead3fan
WOW, $500 a piece? My bike doesn't ride that bad! These are probably much better than stock, but I don't have a grand to spend on rear shocks.
As Lt James can tell you a good deal on a Penske or equivalent Ohlins is $750+ a shock (we are a service center for both). Go to Penske and you will spend $700/each for these exact same shock if you call them. We (Eric Gray & myself) created them and have a special introductory deal to the HD world offered to this HDF site. You will notice that these shocks are not listed on Penske's site. Only the smaller ones. Please go to my site and all information is available for you to view including pricing and what is inside of them. If you say "My bike doesn't ride that bad" than you have not ridden them to know the difference. If "I don't have a grand to spend" is the problem than you are correct & I understand. They are not made for everybody. Do not put these two subject matters in the same sentence ie: "ride that bad" & "don't have a grand to spend". Fact is they do ride that bad, I have both a stock bike and a few suspension modified bikes. It is a matter of choices. Either lot of missed beer and cigarettes, your choice. I made my sacrifices & I have to pay for my own to get them.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:58 PM
edellavedova
Cruiser

The shocks need to be custom ordered - I'll pick them up in 4 weeks. I'm also getting the front suspension redone with Howard's X-Factor cartridge system in about 2 weeks (or less).

The rear Penske shocks are $997. I'll give a report after I get the front suspension in - and then again after I have the rear shocks. I know these are expensive - but I was seriously considering spending over $4000 on new wheels. I figure spending $2200 to significantly improve ride quality is better than spending double that making the bike look nicer.

Of course, now I want Howard's carbon fiber wheels too, but that'll have to wait a while.

Quick Reply: Penske Shocks - awesome experience at Motorcycle Metal