Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about lower fairing for StreetGlide

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 09:02 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Thinking about lower fairing for StreetGlide

I'm thinking about a color matched vented lower fairing for my StreetGlide. Other than keeping the wind off my legs does the fairing change the windflow? Does the fairing stop the buffeting airflow that blows up from the forks and up the gas tank? Do the fairings make riding hotter in the summer?

Let me know. Thanks.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Raaze07
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I added the color-matched vented lowers to my '07 Street Glide, mainly for looks and to help a little on those cold fall or early spring rides. They'll keep the rain off your feet, and keep your feet and lower legs warmer, but your knees will still be in the wind and rain. I think they helped calm the buffeting somewhat too. I think they make a huge difference in the way the bike looks. The Street Glide is already lowered, but I think adding the lowers makes it look even lower, they add depth to the front end that realy looks sweet.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:49 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by atrain68
I'm thinking about a color matched vented lower fairing for my StreetGlide. Other than keeping the wind off my legs does the fairing change the windflow? Does the fairing stop the buffeting airflow that blows up from the forks and up the gas tank? Do the fairings make riding hotter in the summer?

Let me know. Thanks.
Have you tried the deflectors that mount to the bottom of the fairing? (to help with the buffeting) I think they really help a LOT. Only $30. Of course they wont keep your legs dry in the rain etc...

Old 09-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I added fairing lowers primarily for cosmetic reasons and long distance riding comfort for less wind on the lower legs and protection from rain.

Haven't noticed much difference in air/turbulence while riding with them and an air baffle (the chrome one that mounts at the bottom of the triple tree). The fairing lowers do eliminate a lot of air flow around the side of the bike which causes the rear cylinder to get less air flow and run hotter than without the fairing lowers, but not significantly according to the oil temp gauge.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:25 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

hey atrain, i also have a streetglide, an 08, the adjustable plastic extenders on the lower edges of the fairing work great, i can have a smoke at seventy five if i want to, just by altering the air flow around me rather than into my thighs. also, if you're wondering about the buffetting from between the forks and in front of the gas tank, the air baffle for like thirty bux is great to stop that. they discontinued putting it on touring bikes back in the mid eighties, but it's still in your parts and accesories catalog, and to boot, it's now chrome. bolts to the back of the lower triple tree. very easy install. for the adjustable wind vents for the fairing, i had to use a 10-24 tap before the screws would go into the fairing to install them. both the vents and the baffle are very easy to do.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:53 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got the chrome fork baffle and Freedom wings for the fairing. They definitely work well. The buffeting I am talking about is what blows up from the forks up the gas tank. Its worse on windy days and gives me helmet buffeting and more wind noise.

The wind comes in at the same height as the front turn signals and then blasts up the side of the tank onto the sides of my head.

I think I'm sold on the lower fairings for the looks though.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:19 PM
07flicks
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont think just do it! They are friggin great and complete the look of the Street glide!