Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering head bearing grease

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 12:49 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought they where tapered bearing's, but then I'm not sure anbout the twin cams because I havn't looked at the book yet, my shovel had the tapered ones though 1+ on the hi-temp synthetic grease though! ;-D

Old 09-06-2008, 02:00 PM
EasternSP
Banned

Received 24,867 Likes on 9,332 Posts

I just checked my service manual while watching the hurricane out the garage door. It says nothing about the bearings being sealed. In fact, it says to inspect the races for pitting during dissemble. Something ya can't really do with sealed bearings and expect to use them again.
The manual also refers to "Special Purpose Grease" rather than just grease, so I would presume this to be something that didn't melt or run as conventional grease would.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:17 PM
blueflht
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

try a 45 degree fitting instead of a 90. it works better .

Old 09-06-2008, 02:19 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ken: Special Purpose Grease is the term used by HD for the cheapest crap we can get and charge the most for it. Use synthetic grease. You won't be sorry. I have used and highly recommend Motorex 2000. Google for the closest supplier.
Ron

Old 09-06-2008, 02:24 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Try the "green grease available at Tractor supply. We've had no problem with it leaking up here in the North east. Can't tell you about the hot south though!!

Old 09-06-2008, 02:26 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by gilbos440rt
I thought they where tapered bearing's, but then I'm not sure anbout the twin cams because I havn't looked at the book yet, my shovel had the tapered ones though 1+ on the hi-temp synthetic grease though! ;-D
+1, ?1 on synthetic grease. They are tapered bearings, I think the guy that said all tc's were sealed bearings was thinking of the wheel bearings. I have a parts manual that show separate cup and tapered bearings.
As far as grease goes there are a few different kinds. Chassis grease which is some what one the lower scale of longevity as there is no heat in that application so it tens to melt/drip/fly off if used in the wrong application.
Then theres EP grease (check the tube label) This means extreme pressure application which could be used in neck bearings as it has a higher melting point so it would drip less. There is also HI Temp wheel bearing (and a seperate kind for disc brakes) It will take hi heat but melts and is semi fluid so it can keep both inner and outer bearings in a wheel hub lubricated.
This is bad for neck bearings at least the top one anyway, because the grease will tend to droop down to the lower bearing and come all over your fender.
Silicone type maybe good, I would have to read the MSDS to find its servicability?

Old 09-06-2008, 02:44 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Im just gonna use the same crap I have for all my daily drivers hot rods and wheel barrows
Im not buying it needs any special kind of grease but it needs grease... Go to sears and you can get an air powered grease gun if you have a compressor and make short work outta it. Im betting the stealer didnt even grease mine but we shall see. Oh ya i think lincoln electric makes a battery powered grease gun too..
Dave

Old 09-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Sodiee
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my 10,000 mile service job done last month and I've been leaking every since.My service department told me the H-D grease is great but when it's hot,it will run.They told me it will stop eventually.Who knows when...

Old 09-06-2008, 04:25 PM
radridd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mobil One synthetic runs also.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:42 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by radridd
Mobil One synthetic runs also.

I did have the runs last deer season ? that pi$$ed me off i lost 4 days of hunting.
Dave

Quick Reply: Steering head bearing grease