Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moisture on Gauge Lens?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 08:30 AM
thehueg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moisture on Gauge Lens?

I have an 08 Ultra and I can see the remnant of dried moisture on the inside of the lenses of the speedo and a couple other gauges. Is there a way to remove the lenses and clean them or is this a "sealed" unit (even though it isn't sealed well enough to keep out moisture)? I don't use pressure washers or blast the lenses with a hose. I've never owned a bike that this happened to. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:39 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am guessing they are sealed. If it were mine, being an 08, I would take it to the dealer and let them deal with it. I bet you would get new gauges installed under warranty.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:43 AM
reecard
Cruiser

My '03 gets moisture in the fuel gauge everytime I start to ride. No matter what the temp is outside. It goes away after riding for about 30 minutes.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:45 AM
roxnatwist
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm almost positive they aren't sealed units...at least the speedo and gas gauge. My speedo has a haze on it that starts when the sun hits it and goes away after about 30-45 minutes. My gas gauge gets so much moisture in it after I wash my bike that you can't even see the needle. I've had two RKC's and they both did the same thing. I hear it's a common problem with all models. If you're getting moisture beyond that, I'd be hitting up the dealer for a new set of gauges but don't get your hopes up. The standard answer is "normal".

Old 09-05-2008, 08:46 AM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Although I have an '04....I don't even pay attention to the moisture anymore.
I agree though, if you have warranty.....use it.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:56 AM
mduggan
Cruiser

The gauges are not sealed. Mine fog when taken from the nice cool garage to the warm moist Florida air. Sealed gauges (like in an aircraft) don't fog because they are baked to dry them and then vacuum sealed so that changes in temperature don't effect them. No moisture inside, no moisture to create condensation. Harley doesn't seal their gauges because the sealing process would raise the cost of gauges and create a need for gauge maintenance in the form of heating, sealing, replacing seals etc.. Mine have never developed enough moisture to leave a permanent mark (residue) on the inside of the lens. I haven't found any instructions for disassembly of the lens for cleaning purposes. I know this doesn't help your original problem. Just a little amplifying information.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:30 AM
kbear
Road Captain

Mine fog all the time but in winter sometimes I get ice particles inside. That gets annoying.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:34 AM
NFFN
Banned

Welcome to the World of Harley Davidson, its a known problem and I agree. Make them fix it.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:42 AM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Speedo gauge does the same thing. I'm going to mention it when I'm in for the 5k service. I agree though I'm sure I'll be told it's normal.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Psycho Steve
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

same problem on mine 06 heritage

Quick Reply: Moisture on Gauge Lens?