Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moisture on Gauge Lens?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Ohio HD Guy
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Take it back to the dealer and ask them. I had a problem on my 05 Heritage, my 07 FLHTC doesn't seem to fog up. You my try taking an air compressor and blasting some air around the gauges.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:22 AM
06flstf
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem with my Fatboy.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:54 PM
Caliman
Advanced

old thread, but what ive always done when ive gotten that sort of problem in the fuel gauge is remove it from the tank ( the fuel gauge is a snug fit, but just lifts straight up and out of the tank) and remove the wires from it ( remebering where they go of course) and take it inside the house and let it sit next to the tv or something warm all night. once the moisture is out of it, et yourself some clear silicon and seal around the bottom of the chrome ring ( if applicable) and anything under it that looks like it may be open. let the silicon dry and reassemble.

a buddy of mine had that problem too, and he did the same thing, and also threw a few od the small descant packs under the gauge . worked like a charm

Old 01-17-2011, 05:34 PM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Caliman
a buddy of mine had that problem too, and he did the same thing, and also threw a few od the small descant packs under the gauge . worked like a charm
I like the dessicant trick, just might work.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:04 PM
ravenron
Advanced

Had the same problem with my 98 Road King on the speedometer. My solution was to hang a simple droplight so that the cage/bulb is resting on the speedo lens. I left it that way overnight and it caused all the moisture to dry up.

From then on, everytime I washed the bike I taped up the speedo completely to keep any direct moisture out. Worked pretty well.

Best part is you don't have to disassemble anything.

Ride safe...

Ron

Old 01-18-2011, 02:47 AM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When we have water vapor in a gage or in a watch we need to 'boil out or out-gas' the water trapped inside. This is usually performed at room temperature in a small vacuum tank where we let dry air or nitrogen refill the tank before recuperating the goods. Once this is done a varnish or sealant can be applied

Old 01-18-2011, 03:19 AM
ElectraDave
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reecard
My '03 gets moisture in the fuel gauge everytime I start to ride. No matter what the temp is outside. It goes away after riding for about 30 minutes.

Ditto...my 03 does as well. And its kept inside.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:33 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I got a case of beer riding on the "dealer says it's normal all bikes do it"

join the club

Old 01-18-2011, 08:18 PM
parachuter
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this sounds crazy, but I did not have trouble with fogging gauges until I installed the chrome trim rings around the gauges. Go figure.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:22 AM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by parachuter
I know this sounds crazy, but I did not have trouble with fogging gauges until I installed the chrome trim rings around the gauges. Go figure.
If you have the proper conditions, fogging will occur in the coldest area of the gauge; its also called 'dewpoint' ... The fairing is warmer inside than the chrome ring standing in the cold, just like with an old wristwatch after you've been under a shower
Giving it more thought, if we drill a tiny breather hole near the double pin (faston) connector this would allow better breathing of the instrument. This black faston connector is clipped in its position and is not sealed (at least on on my gauges). Remember that water penetrates rapidly during cool-down after a ride under the rain or storing the bike in a damp environment. The vacuum vessel I mentioned in my previous post works the same way, indefinitely.

Last edited by Expat1; 01-19-2011 at 02:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Moisture on Gauge Lens?