Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another motor mount question

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 11:52 AM
NoTyme
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another motor mount question

Well, here is another dumb question on the motor mount issue: I have read several threads on the engine vibrations, possibly causing fairing bracket failure, some even replaced the HD mount with a Buell mount and I actually had my original mount replaced at 1,000 because it was (broke) at least that what the dealer said. My belief is that there was a recall on the mount.
Anyways, I road on down the my dealer and purchased the new, latest reversion of the motor MOUNT and put the bike up on the table, strapped her down and pulled the manual out and started to look through the procedure… And wahla: I see that there are 2 motor mounts.
Now my question is which one do I replace??? I believe the top mount has more strain on it so it’s most likely is the top mount that’s need replacement. But I just had to ask for confirmation on this. It doesn’nt really make sense to replace the bottom, but the way my luck is I would tear into it and find out that I screwed up… Which I must admit, I do… Occasionally!!!

Old 09-04-2008, 12:06 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

Usually, the front lower motor mount is all that is in need of replacement. Oil, grease, dirt, and other various factors shorten the life of the mount.

The top stabalizer is almost always alright and lasts as long as the bike does.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:06 PM
skydoc
Banned

VELVA-RIDE billet, 2 pc. polyurethane ~ torque it & forget it!

Last edited by skydoc; 09-06-2008 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:50 PM
malmax
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just had mine replaced at the 105...so far so good.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:02 PM
NoTyme
Cruiser
Default which mount

Thanks for the reply: I do remenber one post recently that stated to loosen the stablizer when replacing the mount. I think it may have been for adjustment of the engine to help with the pulling of the bike along with the reduction of any binding. I assumed that the top mount took most of the abuse. Thanks for straighting me out on that!!

Last edited by NoTyme; 09-04-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:07 PM
NoTyme
Cruiser
Default aftermarket mounts

Hey, I checked out the web site. A bit pricy but as you said, installs it, and forget it. (Sounds like an infomercial) I did bookmark the page, and want to ask how long you had yours installed? I guess I am looking for testimonials.

Last edited by NoTyme; 09-04-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:13 PM
NoTyme
Cruiser
Default Revesion #

Originally Posted by malmax
just had mine replaced at the 105...so far so good.
Did you get the 79D, the latest revesion??? Do you notice any differance in vibration?

Old 09-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Born2Glide
Road Master

What top mount? Are you talking about the stabilizer linkage rod? The front motor mount has a top and bottom rubber piece as shown in the pic, the one you would have is on the right ( looks just like the 79D). This is what usually goes out, just make sure you get the orientation correct. The last time mine was replaced they put it in upside down.

Last edited by Born2Glide; 09-04-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Born2Glide
Road Master

I just replaced mine with the 79D, I think it works just fine. As I said in last post the one that was there was in upside down and was a 79C. It definitely works better installed correctly.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:58 PM
NoTyme
Cruiser
Default manual seem to point to 2 mounts

Well my goal was to cut down on the vibration a bit to reduce the stress on the fairing mounts. I believe the mounts are subject to a lot of stress due to that vibration especially at idle. I have read some post relating to the installation of the Buell mount part # L0501.2 which favorable results were posted in the reduction of vibration. I have had a fairing bracket loosen which may have been due to the vibration, but I can’t be absolutely sure. My installation is purely to reduce vibration and not necessary for the need of a new mount. Hence the post but when I looked into the manual it pointed to a top and a bottom mount. In one of the post I recently read, the loosening of the stabilizer was discussed and I just assumed that a rubber mount was up under there since the manual showed an upper and lower mount.

Quick Reply: another motor mount question