Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 Fuel Mileage Update

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 09:18 PM
TexasVet
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 1 Fuel Mileage Update

I have replied in previous posts about the mpg on my 08 Ultra Classic. Well I finally broke down and took it to the dealer, which is a feat due to where I purchased it from is @ 35 miles away and having to get a ride home. The other dealers in the area didn't want to mess with the download due to I didn't purchase it from them.

The bike had a code of PO444 that could be cleared but as soon as the bike was started the code reappeared itself. Took the bike there and the service writer was negative about my poor fuel mileage and blamed it on my lowers not being removed to allow more cooling to get to the motor. I then had to show him the code, which was not present on the display, had to go into diagnostics to retrieve it. He was still negative and said that fuel mileage cannot be increased and there is nothing that the techs could do. I persisted and he wrote up the work order. Now mind you I had to wait 2 wks to get this appt.

The best mileage I ever received for the bike was 37 on the hwy and that was on a non-windy day and traveling at 65 mph.

Well the dealer inputted an updated Stage 1 download from the moco for the 2008's. The download was 34462-08C/DT. I noticed right off the bat is that the exhaust is less throaty as before but haven't had a chance to take it for a spin due to storms coming in from the hurricane. I hope that this will resolve my poor mileage and code problems.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:29 PM
TexasVet
Tourer

I wanted to give an update since I got to ride the bike today. The new stage 1 download has made a dramatic difference in the scoot. Before, my bike would pop like a popcorn machine from the exhaust, it had zero power in sixth gear, and had horrible fuel mileage. I took the bike out on a fifty mile ride today and there was very little to no popping from the exhaust, the bike had great pull power even in sixth gear, and the fuel mileage increase significantly.

I have read many comments that the stage 1 does nothing but raise the rev limiter, I can tell you after riding the bike today, and the previous download 5k miles, the correct stage 1 makes a huge difference.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:24 AM
jtbmc
6th Gear
Angry ultra mileage

Tex,
I have an 08 ultra, just had dealer install sert tuner, SE/AC & Vance & Hines true Duals
w/ V& H ovals. My fuel mileage went from 44-46 on interstate cruising to ( 24 ) MPG and dealer says a 50% fuel mileage lost sounds perfectly normal to him. when dealer suggested me going sert the BUM said the bike would run cooler and get about 10% better fuel mileage.
Now I'm trying to find another dealer to check my bike this jerk doesn't want to check says if it comes in shop I must pay again.
JT

Old 09-25-2008, 04:22 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

jtbmc - Did they put it on the dyno? The sert does not have any canned maps for true dual set ups. If your dealer just downloaded a map from HD it's not going to be right. The sert is a great tuner if the guy tuning it knows how to use it. With the true duals you will need a dyno tune with custom map for it to run right. My dealer installed my sert, installed a canned map. made one pull on the dyno and said it was good. It ran like crap. Took it to an indy that knew how to tune and now it runs great and I consistently get 43 to 44 MPG. If you have it dyno tuned, make sure you tell the guy tuning it what you are looking for. He can customize it to fit your needs. Performance, mileage or somewhere in between.