Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ethanol in gas

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 07:47 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run 10% ethanol all the time with no problems. Thats not to say that I agree with the politics of blending it with gasoline. Its not as efficient? and has caused prices to increase on just about everything.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:41 AM
OregonRoadKing
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if the 10% ethanol was contributing to the drop in gas mileage in my vehicles. Isn't the use of ethanol also one of the moves to reduce our use of foreign oil? Guess there is always a price for the choices you make.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The downside is that is doesn't burn as clean
Damn, I wonder if the tree huggers know this.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:58 AM
coloradosteve
Cruiser

There is some interesting things being said here on the board. The basics of this addition to our gas is based on the following:

# A 10 percent ethanol blend will reduce the overall toxicity of the gasoline significantly.
# A 10 percent ethanol blend significantly reduces the amount of carbon monoxide (CO), a pollutant in its own right and a precursor to ozone (smog).
# A 10 percent ethanol blend reduces air particulates.

Also keep in mind that summer gas and winter gas is different as well. The butane used in the refining of winter fuel both lowers manufacturing costs, but also changes some of the basic properties of the gas.

http://www.newrules.org/drdave/13-ethanol.html
http://www.theoildrum.com/story/2006/9/13/234043/431
http://www.slate.com/id/2098672/

Old 09-04-2008, 09:01 AM
JustLoafin
Cruiser

Ethanol has fewer BTU's per gallon and this will result in lower fuel mileage. I did notice on my Sturgis trip that I was able to find premium without ethanol and the bike ran better. I understand the ethanol reduces certain emissions. I like the way it is in Ontario. The higher the grade the lower the ethanol.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:17 AM
CopperGlide
Intermediate

Here in Washington State the majority of ethanol is used to increase octane and improve the emissions of gasoline. Ethanol is typically combined with gasoline as a blend of 10% ethanol and 90% gasoline, known as E10. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, one out of every eight gallons of gasoline sold in the United States contains ethanol.

Use of oxygenated gasoline was mandated by the Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990 in areas with unhealthy levels of carbon monoxide. The primary oxygenates were ethanol and MTBE. The demand for ethanol has been increasing, as MTBE has been shown to contaminate ground water supplies. In Washington State, oxygenated gasoline is sold during the winter in areas that do not meet the federal carbon monoxide standard under the Clean Air Act. In past years, these areas were central Puget Sound and Spokane and Clark counties. The oxygenated gasoline program has been phased out in central Puget Sound and Clark County due to air quality improvements in those areas.

While low-percentage ethanol blends are sold in every state and are available in Washington, consumers typically do not have a choice between E10 and 100% gasoline. In areas where oxygenated gasoline is mandated and E10 is used to meet that mandate, the ethanol blend makes up nearly 100% of the gasoline sold. And the blend is typically not available in areas where the mandate does not apply.

Low-percentage ethanol blends are approved for use by all auto manufacturers and have been used for years in all types of vehicles and engines that require gasoline. There is typically a minimal impact on vehicle performance with the addition of the 10% ethanol.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We've had the 10% blend here in Wyoming for well over 10 years....can't really compare mileage with pure gas as its hard to find a station without ethanol. I've run it in all my bikes and cars and see no difference.