Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Classic '09 HOT on right side.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 08:35 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

If I were lucky enough to have a 09, I would just buy some asbestos chaps and underware and ride on!

Old 09-03-2008, 08:36 PM
cpinto
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 09 Ultra Heat

Had my new 09 Ultra for one week and now have just over 600 miles on it. I guess I am lucky and have not notice any heat issues. I have used the rear cylinder cut off feature once just to test and it worked fine but have not found a need to use it on a regular basis. I ride on city streets in Houston area with no issueswith heat. Really do like the 09 Ultra. Handle well on the highway and country roads.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:49 PM
oleokie
6th Gear

My 09 EGC was hot on the right side when i first got it hotter than my old 03 RK by quite a bit but it got better with the more miles i put on it and a LOT better when i got rid of the break in oil and switched to syn-oil.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:56 PM
Scubadog
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

2 week old 08 Ultra. The right side heat sucked and the stock exhaust sounded like a sewing machine. Just installed Rinehart true duals, Ness Big Sucker and a PCIII. $1,150 delivered for EVERYTHING. Installation was 4 hours and 8 Coronas. Went with the suggested map for my exact system and everything seems perfect. THE HEAT ISSUE IS GONE, GONE, GONE. Sound is perfect. Also love the look of the right side without the Crossover Cooker. Don't notice any new heat on the left side. Expect to cool down another 20 degrees once I swap to syn and add oil cooler at my 1000K service. My 02.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:59 AM
docjackson1
Stage II

i just bought a harley road glide-before that i had a bmw k1200lt-that ran as cool as a cucumber, and of course was a water cooled 4 cylinder. i am just about to change my oil at 1000 miles, and i am happy to hear that possibly, by changing the oil, it might decrease the temperature. i did install the plastic guards with some improvement, but it is still hot. look, i love the way it looks and rides, but there is no reason for the factory to not solve the heat issue. yeah yeah yeah, a bunch of you are going to say that this is an air cooled engine, and they want their engine to make heat, but i can tell you that i had a bmw air cooled bike too (r1150gs) and that also ran cool-to make the bike a truely great bike, it should not roast you-the harley experience should not include unbearable heat to the leg and groin-come on factory-step up and fix this problem

Old 09-04-2008, 06:48 AM
BuzzCap7
Club Member
Received 18,577 Likes on 10,773 Posts

1) Thank you all for your terrific input
2) Now I know I am not going crazy and letting my imagination run away. :-)

BuzzCap7

Old 09-04-2008, 06:54 AM
ranman469
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scubadog
2 week old 08 Ultra. The right side heat sucked and the stock exhaust sounded like a sewing machine. Just installed Rinehart true duals, Ness Big Sucker and a PCIII. $1,150 delivered for EVERYTHING. Installation was 4 hours and 8 Coronas. Went with the suggested map for my exact system and everything seems perfect. THE HEAT ISSUE IS GONE, GONE, GONE. Sound is perfect. Also love the look of the right side without the Crossover Cooker. Don't notice any new heat on the left side. Expect to cool down another 20 degrees once I swap to syn and add oil cooler at my 1000K service. My 02.

please post up some before and after pics.

i`m haveing a real hard time decideing between a 08 and 09 ultra. the heat issue is the decideing factor.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:00 AM
BigD64
Tourer

Break in will run a lot hotter than broken in. I have an 09 FLHTP with the 103 and it cooked my right leg for the 1st 600 miles. Much better now but still thinking about true duals.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the bright side, summer is now over. Winter is comming and it will either be laid up for the season or you will ride with the cold and it will do a good job keeping your hide warm if the engine ever gets it hot enough.

Plan on Rj's Orignals, no more fried thighs as on of the spring upgrades! Or you may just want to trade it in on a Saab?

Old 09-04-2008, 05:13 PM
StonerGlide
Road Master

Bottom line is bike has to be leaned out to meet EPA regs before it can even leave the factory. No meet regs, no sell scoot!
You want to gripe about the heat issue to someone call your worthless congressman, excuse me your congressperson or senator and give them a tongue lashing. When all is said and done they are the responsible party!
Not to say that I don't have a few issues with HD on my 07, dam thing roasted my eggs when I first got it but a few mods all but cured the problem, mainly RJS Deflectors and a set of XIED's (ain't got the bucks for proper fuel management right now). Does the bike still get hot, yep but not nearly as noticable. After the XIED's even wife mentioned she was feeling less heat coming up to her legs (so I didn't get bitched at for the $103 i spent on 'em )
Try sitin 2 inches above a two cylinder lawn tractor motor and see how quick you fry your eggs!!

No offense meant to anybody here just had to get that out I guess.

Quick Reply: Ultra Classic '09 HOT on right side.