Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide Wind Management

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008 | 06:38 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by whoop72
I have a 1" over stock clearview, and have great protection with no buffeting on my RG. great ride in and out of the wind.
+1 for the Clearview medium (1" taller than stock).

Old 09-04-2008 | 06:59 PM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member

10" shorty shield with minimal wind buffeting....
I'm 6'3 so I don't hide behind it either.......
8,000 miles in 3 months, and an occasional gnat in the forehead...
Can still hear the mp3 tunes and talk with wife on back

Old 09-04-2008 | 07:08 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by gilbos440rt
Lower fairing made the biggest improvement for me and the Clearview!
+1 for the lowers and the taller Clearview.

Old 09-04-2008 | 08:18 PM
mhud
Road Captain

I have an 08 RG with a Clearview 1" overstock and fairing lowers. I'm 5' 10" and it's a smooth ride. I have noticed one of my helmets with a visor causes more noise and wind at 70+ MPH.

Attached Thumbnails Road Glide Wind Management-my-rg.jpg  
Old 09-04-2008 | 08:28 PM
BlueNoser
Tourer

I just converted a 2006 roadglide to a Batwing fairing.I rode softails before so these two comparisons are the only two touring bikes I have been on. My opinions are based on both fairings on same bike with same variables. 1. Wind buffeting is a lot worse on Batwing. 2. Crosswinds are crosswinds same on both. 3.Wind buffeting over shield, Roadglide with short shield was horrible and I tried them all. Roadglide with Clearview adjusted so you just see over it awesome. Batwing with short shield horrible. batwing with 12" shield awesome. Bad weather I found the batwing far far superior. You are to far away from fairing on roadglideand the weather goes around fairing and hits you more than batwing. Also your hands are protected behind fairing on batwing. Headlight all the seeing where you are going is crap. If you are doing more than 5 miles an hour you are leaning a bike and the headlight stays pointed ahead regardless of fairing. Under 5 miles an hour who cares.
I switched fairings because I did not like the Roadglide with the tall fairingvand it was brutal with any short shields i tried.So if you like a tall shield it all boils down to taste. If you want a short shield I would suggest you rent or borrow a Roadglide and do an all day ride before making a decision.
Hope this helps.

Old 09-04-2008 | 10:15 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

I'm 6'1" and ride an 07 RG with stock wind shield and lower fairings. No problem with wind with or without a helmet.

Old 09-04-2008 | 10:35 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sifularson
+1 for the Clearview medium (1" taller than stock).

Hi Steve,

Is it me, or is that Clearview raked back a little more than the stock windshield. Seems like it's not as upright a I remember the stock shield being on the RG I rented. Just wondering. Thanks!

Old 09-04-2008 | 11:26 PM
BigdadeeR
Cruiser

Love my Road Glide but had the helmet buffeting problem. I'm 6' tall so while having my other accessories put on today from my deal they also put on a stock shield 3" taller and now it's great. I have never ridden a batwing but am very happy with my RG. Feels like I'm riding around in an armchair it's so comfortable.

Old 09-05-2008 | 01:28 AM
Avmech97
Road Master
Thumbs up

I run a 16" Clearview with recurve & light tint. It works like a charm. There is a lot less buffeting around the head unless I'm ridin around a lot of traffic and catching their turbulence.

Old 09-05-2008 | 01:42 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
Hi Steve,

Is it me, or is that Clearview raked back a little more than the stock windshield. Seems like it's not as upright a I remember the stock shield being on the RG I rented. Just wondering. Thanks!
Yes, the CV is raked back more than stock. Quite a bit more actually. To bad I don't have pics to compare.

Quick Reply: Road Glide Wind Management