Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electra glide tie down points

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 03:10 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by toastedoat
Please educate me...

How is tying to the bars an accident waiting to happen? It would seem to me that is more secure than the method in the pictures which look like they are tied around the front axle - is the front suspension compressed at all?Thanks in advance
Because the bar tubing is a very thin wall tubing and easily bent. I've done it, strap to the bars that is, and gotten away with it, but I can also bend my bars easily with my bare hands. I can't bend the frame with my bare hands!!

Old 03-04-2013, 04:11 PM
ChetMains
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why you don't use the handlebars as tie-down points

I learned the hard way. I had just bought my FLHT and was going to haul it back to southern Ohio from Michigan. I loaded it on the trailer and started ratcheting down on the straps and the handlebars made a loud pop. The bars came completely loose and were moving up and down. Apparently to much torque for the clamp. Luckily it was under warranty and a tech unloaded the bike and fixed the bars.

Originally Posted by pbsdaddy
I'm not too sure I understand the negative on the handlebars comment either. I do know, from experience, I never want to see my bike bouncing around on it's own suspension again. That won't happen if the suspension is compressed.
For my part, if I'm hauling my bike, I tie it down with at least six straps. I know that seems to be overkill. But the one time I didn't use the bars, the bike bounced out of the wheel chock. Were it not for the four rear straps, two pulling forward and two pulling back, I would have lost the bike.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:15 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

These are really nice and make a great location to tie down.

Easy install, solid as a rock and no too expensive.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Product-Gall...Name=929-1.jpg

Old 03-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Big-Tim
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the Harley-Davidson Chrome tie-downs on the upper sides of the front forks, looks great, heavy duty, and works perfectly for the front, tying it down. and on the rear, I ran a pair of HD, soft ties, criscrossed threw the back wheel, (not where the valve stem is), with my ratchet tie downs, to the rear left & right tie down points in my trailer, keeps the rear of the bike centered/in place, w/o bouncing & moving left and right, during transport/long hauls.....More recenty, (Because the above was a little difficult, sometimes), I now use the soft ties threw the front of the rear chrome bag protector bars, on each side, close to where its mounted to the frame, with great success/not problems. This is a little easier & faster to do. Good luck!

Old 03-05-2013, 08:58 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

I guess I'm just lucky??? One pull strap on each side to the bars in the back of my short bed truck? Been hauling bikes like that since I quit using 1/4" nylon rope about 30 years ago?

Old 11-13-2015, 09:06 AM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
I guess I'm just lucky??? One pull strap on each side to the bars in the back of my short bed truck? Been hauling bikes like that since I quit using 1/4" nylon rope about 30 years ago?
I use that method for dirtbikes just not on my heavier stuff

Old 11-13-2015, 11:03 AM
bill_1202
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cdestuck
Man, why can't you guys lay off the "why not ride it" stuff. Let a guy do what he wants to do. Does your neighbor tell you how to cut your grass or wash your car?

+1 on this one... People get impatient here sometimes... I have been guilty of asking why on things here too (just ride it) but I have to always remember that not everyone has the same experiences or knowledge level and the whole reason for this forum is to educate ourselves and learn everything we can the best we can? Right?

Last edited by bill_1202; 11-13-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:35 AM
the warden
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Geez, a 7 year old thread resurrected. That must be a record.

Old 11-13-2015, 04:07 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by ChetMains
I learned the hard way. I had just bought my FLHT and was going to haul it back to southern Ohio from Michigan. I loaded it on the trailer and started ratcheting down on the straps and the handlebars made a loud pop. The bars came completely loose and were moving up and down. Apparently to much torque for the clamp. Luckily it was under warranty and a tech unloaded the bike and fixed the bars.
This is why I don't do it. I had my bar clamps come loose in normal operation and they rocked on me. had they been on the bars they would have rolled back until the strap came off. I also bent they bars on a friends bike picking it up after a tip over.

I use six straps. The are all soft tie ratchets. Either side of the fork just above the fender mounts. two more around the crash bar frame and then two more on the saddle bag guards on either side. I only compress the suspension slightly. Never had the bike move on 700 mile days.