Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electra glide tie down points

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 09:57 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Stay off the handlebars. It's an accident waiting to happen.

Attached Thumbnails electra glide tie down points-left-front-1.jpg   electra glide tie down points-right-front-2.jpg   electra glide tie down points-right-front-3.jpg   electra glide tie down points-right-passenger-4.jpg   electra glide tie down points-right-passenger-5.jpg  

Old 09-03-2008, 10:31 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

I tie off to the crash bars, outward and forward. Passenger floorboard mounts outward and back. Using a Bike-Pro chock, there is little to no compression on the suspension. Close to 4000 miles in a toyhauler with no problems.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:00 PM
xcelr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by soos
Stay off the handlebars. It's an accident waiting to happen.
+1. The photos show the correct method.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:10 PM
wolfjack
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crash bars at front and saddle bag guards at back. I've had 4 EG's hauled many mile this way...Dealer tech said never tie at handlebars or forks...

Old 09-04-2008, 01:00 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

Never use the handlebars, too easy to slip off and too close to painted item ( scratches happen). The method I have used for many years are as follows.

1. Get a pair of tie down straps, available at HD dealer or any motorcycle shop. The are about 12" to 18" long and have two loops at each end.
2. Wrap the tie down straps around the lower triple tree ( lower fork tree). Loop the strap above the tree and one loop through the other loop and pull tight.
Attach one tie down to the loop end on the left side first, do not tighten too much now, just take out the slack. Leave the jiffy ( side) stand down.
repeat on the right side. Now grab the handlebar on the right side ( not the grip, seen too many grips come off in the hand) and pull towards you and at the same time pull the right side tie down down and take as much slack out as you can. This will also tighten the left side and compress the front forks all at the same time.
go to the left side a tighten some more and repeat on the right side.

This method will tighten and compress the front forks for proper transport.

when you arrive at you location gently loosen the right side a little, then the left side just very little, then back to the right side and loosen all the way, the bike will rest on the jiffy stand you left down to start with and then you can remove all the straps....easy...

Last edited by Casper; 09-04-2008 at 06:03 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:22 AM
toastedoat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please educate me...

How is tying to the bars an accident waiting to happen? It would seem to me that is more secure than the method in the pictures which look like they are tied around the front axle - is the front suspension compressed at all?

In the manual for my Kendon trailer, and also what I was told by the dealer when i got the bike, it says for the front to "Front Tie-Down Procedure. In the tree or fork area of your bike attach
two ratchet tie-downs to the most forward tie-down area on the trailer
(outrigger). Tighten the ratchet tie-downs so that the front suspension of
the motorcycle is compressed to at least 75% of total travel." There is also a picture of what looks like a FatBoy there with the straps going around the handlebars - this method would be the same for an Ultra or any bike with a fairing as well, no?

Thanks in advance

Old 09-23-2008, 06:59 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,383 Likes on 2,487 Posts

I'm not too sure I understand the negative on the handlebars comment either. I do know, from experience, I never want to see my bike bouncing around on it's own suspension again. That won't happen if the suspension is compressed.
For my part, if I'm hauling my bike, I tie it down with at least six straps. I know that seems to be overkill. But the one time I didn't use the bars, the bike bounced out of the wheel chock. Were it not for the four rear straps, two pulling forward and two pulling back, I would have lost the bike.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:27 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed these from Kuryakyn, have yet to actually use them.

https://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=harley&ci=3883

Old 09-23-2008, 07:41 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Man, why can't you guys lay off the "why not ride it" stuff. Let a guy do what he wants to do. Does your neighbor tell you how to cut your grass or wash your car?

Old 09-23-2008, 07:45 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

My tie down...but I used a wheel chock that secured the bike also:

Tie a soft tie around the front fender supports....attach ratchet tie down forward.
Soft tie around passenger peg supports......ratchet tie down forward.
Soft tie around rear crash bar (I have'em)....ratchet forward slightly (don't over do it)
Soft tie on front crash bars (don't over do these either).
The theory I have is....the more tie downs the better. You don't have to CRANK them down, because you have more than needed.
(Old fable: You can't tie down a GIANT with one thread........but with a thousand threads, he can not escape.") Make sense?

Quick Reply: electra glide tie down points