Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HQ Cams / Gear Drive Setup: What all is needed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Motown_HOG
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HQ Cams / Gear Drive Setup: What all is needed?

I want to go with a gear driven cam on my '06 Street Glide. I already have the Stage I setup (Rinehart True Duals, PCIII, SE Heavy Breather Air Kit). Based on the reviews I have found on the forum it looks like the best cams out there are the HQ0034 cams. I'm not planning on doing a big bore kit any time soon- so for the money this sounds like the best bang for the buck. On the HQ website they show a bike with the same cams making 95HP/95TQ. That is good enough for me (right now).

I am going to have my indy shop do the labor for me on the install. What all do I need for this? Which gear drive set? Do I need the adjustable pushrods too?

Where is the best place to buy the HQ cams from?

Thanks for your help!

Oh one more thing... How many hours labor should this take??? I want to have a good idea before I walk into the shop! Thanks.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:20 PM
blueflht
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

25 hp from just adding cams? i dont think so. the purpose of cams are to determine the amount of time the valves are open and closed. with out head work and proper tuning cams will not give you the performance you are looking for. it isnt possible to add 1 item and expect great gains. it is the addition of properly matched parts that give you the performance you are looking for

Old 09-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

You can order the cams and anything else you will need from Kevin at Head-Quarters:

http://www.head-quarters-usa.com/ushome.html

I have the HQ-0034's in my otherwise bone stock '04 EG w/ Rinehart TD's and SE a/c, and it really woke-up my bike--an excellent cam choice IMO.

With your better flowing '06 stock heads, your bike should run better than mine. And I'm not a "numbers chaser" especially with bolt-in cams, but I doubt you will see 90-95 hp from these cams and no significant change in compression. Mine dynos at 78-82 with tq between 88-91, but there are differences in dynos, etc. My bike is faster than 95" SE Big Bore builds without headwork, and as fast as 95" builds with street ported heads or only slightly slower--enough power for me not to consider a 95 anytime soon--doing 2K roll-on acceleration runs with buddies.

I checked the HQUSA website "Case Study" 1-4 and didn't see any claims of 95 hp/95 tq. Didn't check the "Testimonials."

I used the stock push rods/tubes and new HD "B" lfters when the cams swap was done in conjuction with replacing the cam chain tensioners at 40K miles. You'll save labor cost by having the stock push rods cut out; the valve covers, etc. can stay on the engine during the cam swap. The SE adjustable pushrods often rub the tubes, and the SE lifters are way over-priced--HQ's website has the alternatives.

Kevin is a very good friend of mine and a very straight shooter. He'll answser your questions, sell you what you need, and not upsell you.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 09-02-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Motown_HOG
Road Master

http://www.head-quarters.com/html/bolt_in_cam.html

Check out their website... States

Bolt in HQ-0034 cams as tested in a stock 2004 TC 88. The bike was prepared by Fred from Brute Performance and run on Frazier’s Harley-Davidson’s dyno. Other mods include air filter, Hooker trouble maker pipes and Power Commander. 95.65 HP and 94.72 ft. lbs. Torque

Old 09-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If you're going for 90+ HP you're going to need pistons as well as head work. Don't know much about Headquarters except for what's been in this forum. Haven't seen any negatives. I think they can provide all that is necessary to achieve those numbers.
I've got ported heads, 10.5/1 pistons, S&S gear drive w/577 Redshift cams. Also added a Feuling oil pump. Before 10% ethanol I regularly got 47-48 mpg and 100+/100+ hp/tq figures. 10% ethanol reduced that to 40-42 mpg with the same power figures. Good luck with your project, you'll never regret having more power. I regularly spank ALL of the CVO's with my Streetglide. No brag, just fact.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:19 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Joe,
As I read the info on the link you posted, the motor is a 10:1 95" with headwork.

Having said that, the 0034 is an excellent choice of cams for your build. Do not get caught up in numbers. THere are far too many variables.

Parts: cams, gear set, cam install kit (gaskets & bearings), oil, filter, EZ Install pushrods, and possibly a set of lifters.

Also, don;t overlook the importance of a quality tune.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilM
Joe,
As I read the info on the link you posted, the motor is a 10:1 95" with headwork.

Having said that, the 0034 is an excellent choice of cams for your build. Do not get caught up in numbers. THere are far too many variables.

Parts: cams, gear set, cam install kit (gaskets & bearings), oil, filter, EZ Install pushrods, and possibly a set of lifters.

Also, don;t overlook the importance of a quality tune.
Actually that was for the dyno sheet listed below, which had numbers of 108 hp and 120 tq.

Something doesn't seem right though. It's really hard to believe that just a set of cams can increase the hp that much.

I think Phil has the parts you'll need though.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Motown_HOG
Road Master

Yeah the numbers I quoted off their website are for a 88TC. The numbers seem hard to believe. I do know it would require a good tune to get those numbers (if you can reach them at all!).

Here are the prices listed off their site:

HQ-0034G Hurricane Gear Cam 99-06 259.00 259.00
AP-288908 Gear Drives and Install Kit 449.52 449.52
HQ4055 - EZ Install Pushrods 141.87 141.87

The cost of the gear drive and install kit seems high. I found a full kit (minus the pushrods) on eBay for about $110 less than just the HQ cams and install kit.

If the HQ cams are indeed the best out there and I will be able to get into the 90/90 range then I would consider it worth the money. If not, then maybe I would just go with the Andrews 26G gear driven cam set and save some cash. Your thoughts?

Old 09-02-2008, 06:30 PM
hawg50
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up andrews 37 g cams

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
If you're going for 90+ HP you're going to need pistons as well as head work. Don't know much about Headquarters except for what's been in this forum. Haven't seen any negatives. I think they can provide all that is necessary to achieve those numbers.
I've got ported heads, 10.5/1 pistons, S&S gear drive w/577 Redshift cams. Also added a Feuling oil pump. Before 10% ethanol I regularly got 47-48 mpg and 100+/100+ hp/tq figures. 10% ethanol reduced that to 40-42 mpg with the same power figures. Good luck with your project, you'll never regret having more power. I regularly spank ALL of the CVO's with my Streetglide. No brag, just fact.
i did andrews 37s and big bore pistons,stock heads in my 06 ultra and got 95 horses and 1oo ft lb of torque on a corrected dyno tune.it rocks

Old 09-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks for the link MotownHog.

The dyno results referenced there are from Frasier's HD which is about 15 miles from me. My IMPRESSION from seeing the numbers from their dyno room, compared to those from other HD shops, e.g. Earl Small's, Stone Mountain, Killler Creek, etc. in the Atlanta area is that Frasier's has a "happy" dyno.

Don't be disappointed if your numbers are less, especially the horsepower number with HQ-0034 cams. They're a terrific bolt in cam, but not typically 90-95 hp w/o headwork/increased compression.

And, as mentioned by PhilM, you will need a good tune.

Note: An advantage of the HQ-0034 cams is an intake close of 36* which is earlier than the other popular bolt in cams which have a close of 40*. The earlier intake close tends to provide more torque earlier in the rpm range.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 09-02-2008 at 06:44 PM.

Quick Reply: HQ Cams / Gear Drive Setup: What all is needed?