Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody have experience with gel pads?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Old No.7
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody have experience with gel pads?

I can't afford a new mustang seat right now. I saw one of these gel pads on another site and thought it might work for my wife. We're going on a ride in Oct. and I know she'll be in misery by the end of the first day (it's a three day trip). After 200 miles or so, she starts moving around alot. I thought this might be a quick fix until I can get the seat that I want, any sugestions?

Old 09-02-2008, 10:41 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I go to a foam padding store get and piece of foam that feels like I would like.
Take your seat off.
Turn seat over see the staples remove them.
Add the new foam and shape to your seat.
Put seat cover back on and staple back.
Cost around $10.00 or less.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:51 AM
FLFOOL
Intermediate
Default gel seat

A gel pad will help. But do not leave it in the sun on a hot day or you will cook. On cold days warm it before riding and you will be warmer for longer. On hot days chill it in the freezer before leaving. When you can adjust your budget, nothing will ever compare with a Russell Day Long.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:56 AM
US Rider
Cruiser

Years ago, I bought a gel pad at a rally, hopeing to make my ride home better. When I got home I threw it on a shelf thinking, "so much for that". A coulpe of years ago I gave it to my wifes aunt who was complaining about her seat. She sent it back.

I later purchased an "Air Hawk". Expensive but worth it.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:08 AM
johnnyspeed
Cruiser

I barrowed my buddies air hawk for a ride to DC, let me tell you it kicks a$$.
So I bought a gel pro pad while I was their because I could not find a air hawk vendor. Big mistake, it was worse than the stock seat after 40 miles, the good news is they returned it no problems.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:24 AM
TRUBRIT
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My Wife will not leave home without the Gel pad. I had my Sundowner modified and a lot of foam removed and replaced with Gel. This is fine for short trips. I purchased an Airhawk for long ones. I will upgrade the Wife (the pad) to an Airhawk.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

A gel pad is ok, feels gushy in the turns and don't even think about letting the sun hit it, unless you like to hear your butt sizzle.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:41 AM
iambill
Tourer

your gonna love this.
My wife suffered as well . I got a hemerroid ring from a medical supply store. ($9) She puts it in a sham. now she recommends it to every passanger she see's.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:53 AM
007 ultra
Tourer

Gel pads are just like Ford - Chrysler - GM vehicles. Some love 'em and some hate 'em.

For me - they are #1.

The rant about cold in the winter and hot in the summer ..... never noticed it and been riding in 110+ degree heat and (once for a mile) in -20 degree weather. Then again, maybe my butt hasn't any feeling left! :-)

Old 09-02-2008, 12:26 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

i bought one of those beaded add on and it works for me. a lot of what happens is that one point in your rear becomes a pressure point and then it starts falling asleep and cramping. the beads kinda massage the areas and do not create a pressure point. the bead thing cost me 20 bucks and is made by vets.

jel pads seemed to thick for me. also bought one with like styrofoam beads inside. jury still out on that one.

Quick Reply: Anybody have experience with gel pads?