Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

security system problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 09:50 AM
clyde the glide
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default security system problem

I had a close call on the week end, almost had to get towed. I was out for a long ride with friends, we stoped for a break. When it was time to go my new, 08 Road King wouldn't start! The security sytem was locked out. Every time I tried to start it the signals would flash etc, behaving like the key fob wasn't there, of course I had it with me but the bike wouldn't even try to start. So....call the HOG roadside assistance, they were all set to send a tow truck. It occured to me that if the bike wouldn't sense that the key fob wasn't there....maybe the fob was screwed up and not the bike. I pried it apart with my belt buckle, took out the little battery and cleaned it on my t-shirt, put it back together and bingo...the bike fired right up! So something to remember guys and gals....service your key fob too!! I'll be putting a new battery in mine before I go riding again. The bike is new this year, I've only had it since april...who woulda thunk the battery would be screwed up in such a short time.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:13 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a few issues with mine with electricial interference. I went to the dealer and had them put it in a service mode. They did this by taking the batterys out of both fobs and then hooked it up to a computer and put it in the service mode. This disables the system, but if you want it to work all you need to do is put the batterys back in the fob and it will re-activate itself the next time you cycle the ingnition.

I live in a rural area where I didn't really need it. I wouldn't have ordered it, but it was on the bike so I wound up with it.

IMO the less thing that can cause problems the better off you are, as you now know!

Old 09-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Rocket_Rider
Novice

That's why you should remember your password and you can override the flob.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:42 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine did that once. I just shut everything off, locked the ingition, then repeated the process for start up. It fired right up and never had the problem again. who knows?

Old 09-02-2008, 11:46 AM
BillinNY
Tourer

I filled out the owners card with the manual security override instructions and carry it in my wallet. Then I actually performed the mannual security override to test the system. I was concerned what would happen if the fob or the security system failed to dissarm. It was time well spent.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:02 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by BillinNY
I filled out the owners card with the manual security override instructions and carry it in my wallet. Then I actually performed the mannual security override to test the system. I was concerned what would happen if the fob or the security system failed to dissarm. It was time well spent.

Yup, and should you be near enough to your fob at home to start your bike but forget to pick up the fob, you will need to remember those instructions and the code.