Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Visor-style trim ring looks terrible!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 05:15 PM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs down Visor-style trim ring looks terrible!

Today I put on the last part of my Aux Light Kit and was miffed by the fact that after spending so much, the HD headlight trim ring looks pathetic! There's a huge gap on the bottom where the ring comes together and one around the ring where it seats onto the nacelle. At first I thought I put it on wrong so I took it off and tried again to no avail. Then I looked in the the P&A catalog and there it is in color - the same gap! I can almost live with the gap on the bottom, but not the one that goes all the way around the back edge of the trim ring. Does anyone know of a quality trim out there that won't break the bank?

Old 09-01-2008, 05:58 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How about the original?

Old 09-01-2008, 06:00 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I donbt care for the visor type i want the frenched but if they look as bad ill forgo the purchase .
Dave

Old 09-01-2008, 06:17 PM
cegusa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the "Frenched" style from J&P, It has a small seam at the bottom that you can see once it';s installed but I wouldn't call it a gap. It fits flush against the fairing at the back of the ring. I think it was 30 bucks. Sorry I don't have a photo to post. If you'd like me to snap a few, send me a PM & I'll get em' for you.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:48 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I've put 3 on my bike and they all have the gap. The dealer says there is nothing they can do, because it is what it is. At any rate, I've gotten used to it, but would change it if someone found a better one!

Old 09-01-2008, 07:00 PM
RonH
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The way to get rid of the gap at the bottom is to leave the screw on the original one very loose. If you tighten it back up (like the instructions say) the new ring can't get behind it at the bottom, and you get the gap. Leave it loose so that the new ring goes behind it all the way around, (but not loose enough that the entire ring assembly will pull off at the top) then snug up the new one. The gap will be gone

Old 09-01-2008, 07:18 PM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Gunner, the original is a tight fit. That's why I can't figure it out. I looked at Headwinds and they're very proud of their product$.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:23 PM
gliderman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, the trim ring is a POS! I've tried all the tricks and cannot get rid of the gap. I also tried the JP cycles version and it was also a POS with a gap! Can't believe someone doesn't make a good trim ring. Headwinds makes some very nice rings but at $300+ dollars, they can keep it....

Old 09-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Motown Glide
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepacman
gunner, the original is a tight fit. That's why i can't figure it out. I looked at headwinds and they're very proud of their product$.
very pricey though!!!

Old 09-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Use the base of your hand and smack the ring in, starting at the top working your way around. leaving the original ring just barely snug helps with the gap at the bottom. Smacking it in place will help with the gap around the back of the ring. I have the same ring with the same gap at the bottom. the gap I ended up with is a small one though.

Quick Reply: Visor-style trim ring looks terrible!