Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Ultra Classic won't go past 75mph

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008 | 01:25 PM
pop1
|
Road Warrior
Default 08 Ultra Classic won't go past 75mph

I thought maybe someone on the site could give some advice. I just returned home from the 105th (Milwaukee---Chicago) and on the way back got stuck in some traffic. At one point it was so bad I didn't break 10mphs for about 10 miles. After it opened up I rolled on the throttle and cooled her off. About 30 miles away from the traffic jam it started acting up. I couldn't break 75mph and if I tried it just started pinging. I could actually tell it was running different from the exhaust it sounded extra loud like she was laboring. My question is 30 miles at 75mph-80mph would have been enough to cool her off right? (By the way it was about 92 degrees outside.) Why would it start acting up 30 miles later? What could the problem be? I had it in the dealer for the same problem about 2 months ago and they said " Oh it is probably the elevation in the mountains its normal." ( I was in Montana) Normal why? Isn't that what fuel injection is for? I also tried 3-4 different dealers. Any advice? By the way I drove it today and it was fine. Its an off/on problem which makes it 10 times worse to solve. I'm not even sure if heat was an issue just trying to trouble shoot. The bike was not overloaded either I was riding 2-up but it has started acting up when i was solo so thats not it. Any suggestions? You can see my mods from my sig.

Old 09-01-2008 | 01:33 PM
scoobs
Tourer

yours isnt one involved in the fuel canister recall is it?
Sound like you have a cylinder dropping out...Fuel injector? O2 sensor? Bad gas?
Just a couple of ideas....

Last edited by scoobs; 09-01-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-01-2008 | 01:54 PM
flashprez
Club Member

Your bike has a "knock control" installed by the MoCo to help prevent damage to the motor. The loss of torque would be expected if detonation is occuring. This will retard the timing drasticlly to prevent engine damage. Your torque should come back when engine is cooler. I don't know if this was or is your problem, but if you sit in traffic like that and its 92 outside even if you run the bike at higher speeds for 1/2 hr. it is not going to cool down a lot, especially that rear cylinder. Mention this to your mechanic and see what he has to say. Hope this helps.

Old 09-01-2008 | 02:09 PM
TexasRanger
Road Warrior

We were riding back from the Lone Star rally last summer. We stopped in some podunk town and gassed up. After about 30 minutes my buddies road king started doing the same thing. We stopped as soon as we could and waited a little bit for it to cool down. He fired it up again and started riding it. It wouldn't go past about 45 mph. We stopped again and siphoned all the gas out of the tank, refilled it and added some fuel conditioner. It ran fine the rest of the way home.

Old 09-01-2008 | 02:12 PM
bikers70
Novice
Default '08 75mph

My '08 Ultra has done the same thing especially when I was in 6th gear. Did you down shift to see if it would accelerate? Let me know if you come up with an answer. Sure sounds like a fuel problem. If it was ignition I would think it would be backfireing.

Old 09-01-2008 | 03:53 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm on dialup and have configured this site to not include sigs. I'd like to venture a guess but don't know what mods, if any, you have...

Old 09-01-2008 | 05:57 PM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member

I had the same problem, but it wasn't intermittent. Good torque and power up to 2200 - 2500 rpm's and then hardly anything. It was most noticeable in 6th at around 70 - 75 and the exhaust sounded terrible. First I thought the ecm tune had gone south, but it turned out to be the filter cannister. It just had a small crack and didn't burst open like most have done. So, have the fuel pressure checked and if it's low, you might have the same problem. Good luck.

Old 09-01-2008 | 06:16 PM
hnesitd1
Outstanding HDF Member

The pinging could be an indication. Yeah, overheat'n will cause it ............ you are run'n high octane fuel I hope (91 or above).

Old 09-01-2008 | 11:57 PM
pop1
|
Road Warrior

I have already had the fuel filter shell replaced. I always run high octane. Flash prez I sure hope you are wrong on this although it sounds about right. Last time this issue came up I was on my way to Sturgis. The road was totally flat but it was about 95 degrees outside...... anyway after about 55-60miles of 80mph it just started pingin and wouldn't accelerate. The bike is probably at about 3000rpms maybe a little more. This is crazy to think that this is too much for the bike. I have never had any problems like this with any previous bikes. Everytime this has happened I have always had decent gas like BP/Shell etc. 91 or above

Old 09-02-2008 | 12:13 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member

As part of the heat management program, do you suppose it went in to Single Cylinder Engine Cooling mode?

Quick Reply: 08 Ultra Classic won't go past 75mph