Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Ultra Classic won't go past 75mph

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008 | 11:29 AM
pop1
|
Road Warrior

Hog doctor I told them the exact same thing the oil had to have gotten there somehow. They told me the MOCO had told them that as long as there was no more oil in the cases after they drained it and no oil seeped into the cases as the bike sat over night then they are not authorized to go any further, and that if they open the motor up it will not be covered under warranty.

Old 09-10-2008 | 11:42 AM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by pop1
Hog doctor I told them the exact same thing the oil had to have gotten there somehow. They told me the MOCO had told them that as long as there was no more oil in the cases after they drained it and no oil seeped into the cases as the bike sat over night then they are not authorized to go any further, and that if they open the motor up it will not be covered under warranty.
Well, the bright side to that is, if it does it again, that pretty much rules out the "someone just overfilled it once" argument, and they will have to investigate other causes.

As aggravating as it must be, they SHOULD eliminate the "easy" fixes first. No sense tearing your motor apart when the root cause could have been a simple mistake. Who knows, maybe it just WAS overfilled at some point, it will be a one time thing, and it wont happen again. If not, you have a good argument that they need to dig deeper.

Old 09-10-2008 | 11:54 AM
pop1
|
Road Warrior

Yea but all aside if the oil was overfilled once, is it possible that the same oil would stay down in the cases? Wouldn't it have been pumped back into the tank and corrected on the next oil change? Or could it have been in the cases since the bike had 2500 miles on it and now 8300? That's my question.

I guess the really good thing is I have all my receipts and they have done all the maintenance.

Old 09-10-2008 | 04:10 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Dealer never checked the oil pump????? Your bike is sumping and only thing they did was drain excess and give it back??? When my friends 07 was doing this it wasnt puking out AC either but what was found was oil pump was trashed,runout was beyond what was once considered alot or allowable.Pump replaced only and bike was again fine but for how long before this happened again? Its someone elses problem now or still collecting dust on some dealers floor.

Old 09-11-2008 | 08:58 AM
hogdoctor
Tourer

I don't buy the overfilling theory. If it was overfilled and the return pump *is* working properly, it would launch your dipstick across the shop. I've seen it happen. The dealer you're working with likely isn't presenting this issue to the factory properly.
Bypass them and get to customer support at the factory and tell them your story.
They've heard it before. Go back to the oil level check I described earlier in this thread, to prove the situation. The only oil that should be in the engine is what's spraying about or draining to the return suction, there should be no oil accumulation
in the engine cases while the engine is running. It's either going in too fast (you'd see low oil pressure) or it's not being pumped back out fast enough.

Good Luck
Hogdoctor

Old 09-13-2008 | 01:38 PM
pop1
|
Road Warrior

well i got the bike back a few days ago. Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to get on it because of the $hitty weather. One thing I noticed coming home though is that after I start the bike the engine light comes on for about 7 seconds approx 10 seconds after the bike is started. Not really sure what this means but it never did this before until now.

Last edited by pop1; 09-13-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-13-2008 | 07:12 PM
Velobob
Advanced

Ok guys,
I have been out on the road for a week and here is what happened.
I had the other dealer check it out and they found nothing wrong (of course).
We did a 340 mile ride across the desert and shut it down for the day. I then went out the next morning and found oil sprayed over the engine and elsewhere. Not having internet access on this trip I thought about all that was said here & thought about the excess oil comment and checked it. Too much in the case!
I then went to the local grocery and bought a turkey baster and sucked a pint+ out of the engine. I'm doing this in the motel parking lot!
It then ran fine. I will be getting the bike to the original dealer ASAP now that we are back home.
I will be using this thread as info and back-up to get to the bottom of this.
Thanks to all of you for your help!!!!!
Bob

Old 09-13-2008 | 07:55 PM
caspr2
Tourer

Originally Posted by pop1
I thought maybe someone on the site could give some advice. I just returned home from the 105th (Milwaukee---Chicago) and on the way back got stuck in some traffic. At one point it was so bad I didn't break 10mphs for about 10 miles. After it opened up I rolled on the throttle and cooled her off. About 30 miles away from the traffic jam it started acting up. I couldn't break 75mph and if I tried it just started pinging. I could actually tell it was running different from the exhaust it sounded extra loud like she was laboring. My question is 30 miles at 75mph-80mph would have been enough to cool her off right? (By the way it was about 92 degrees outside.) Why would it start acting up 30 miles later? What could the problem be? I had it in the dealer for the same problem about 2 months ago and they said " Oh it is probably the elevation in the mountains its normal." ( I was in Montana) Normal why? Isn't that what fuel injection is for? I also tried 3-4 different dealers. Any advice? By the way I drove it today and it was fine. Its an off/on problem which makes it 10 times worse to solve. I'm not even sure if heat was an issue just trying to trouble shoot. The bike was not overloaded either I was riding 2-up but it has started acting up when i was solo so thats not it. Any suggestions? You can see my mods from my sig.
By any chance you didn't have IL gas in it did you, there gas sucks and anytime I have to gas up in IL it runs like **** until I get good gas in it.

Old 09-14-2008 | 12:00 AM
ratcat
Tourer

I had the exact same issue with too much oil, (I'm now doing weekly meeting with OOA, Over Oillers Annon.)
Bike ran hot!
Low on power!
Was consumming oil on a daily basic.
After day 5 of running in desert, oil started pouring out of air cleaner.
Sucked out some of the oil, replaced air cleaner,
Problem solved.

The question I have is, how in the hell is the excess oil in the oil tank flooding the crank? if every thing is working fine.

Old 09-14-2008 | 08:03 AM
hogdoctor
Tourer

pop1 - your bike has a trouble code logged in it's memory... if you're curious, pull the code or have the dealer pull the code and translate it into english for you.

Ratcat - everything isn't working fine. The excess oil most likely wasn't the problem.
Oil pukes out of the air box when the engine is *full* of oil... and it shouldn't be.
The return oil pump should be sending all the oil it can suck out of the bottom of the engine back to the oil tank. When the feed pump capacity exceeds the return pump capacity, then the engine starts filling with oil, until it pukes.
So.. either you have oil going into the engine too quickly, or the return pump is failing to
do it's job properly.

Hogdoctor

Quick Reply: 08 Ultra Classic won't go past 75mph