Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Ultra Classic won't go past 75mph

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008 | 06:34 AM
gblass1
Advanced

My Road King is an 09 and has the same problem

Old 09-08-2008 | 11:56 AM
pop1
|
Road Warrior

well has anyone figured it out yet? Mine is still at the dealer

Old 09-08-2008 | 06:25 PM
hogdoctor
Tourer

If it was just a matter of the throttle not opening, it wouldn't get 'crazy hot'
That makes me think of ignition timing getting retarded for some reason by the module,
or the crankcase flooding with oil.

Hogdoctor

Old 09-08-2008 | 07:26 PM
Philip61
1st Gear

Is there a chance the engine got hot enough to score a cylinder? Do a compression check and see what the results indicate.

Old 09-08-2008 | 08:40 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ultra 08
I had the same problem, but it wasn't intermittent. Good torque and power up to 2200 - 2500 rpm's and then hardly anything. It was most noticeable in 6th at around 70 - 75 and the exhaust sounded terrible. First I thought the ecm tune had gone south, but it turned out to be the filter cannister. It just had a small crack and didn't burst open like most have done. So, have the fuel pressure checked and if it's low, you might have the same problem. Good luck.
+1 Same exact thing happened to me when the cannister broke.

Old 09-09-2008 | 12:46 PM
pop1
|
Road Warrior

Ok well I have the long waited answer. This is what I know so far. The dealer put the bike on the dyno and took it through the power band in every gear up, down and all around for quite a few miles. They told me that they begin to notice that the torque dropped to mid 40's they also noticed the suspicious smell I was always complaining about. What they found was the crankcase as you put HOGDOCTOR was flooded with oil. They said the bike is being overworked which is why it is running hot, and the sump is wet which is why it smells (OIL) Anyway now the mystery question is how is the oil getting in there? There would have to be some kind of blow by right? Past a valve? a bearing? who knows any way they asked me if I have been adding any oil which I haven't and they have been doing all the maintenance. Now in their defense after they return the bike I always check the dip stick which is always right on the money. Unless it has been taking a little at a time where it isn't so noticeable. So where is the mystery oil coming from. Stay tuned and when I hear something I will let you know. If anyone else is experiencing these types of symptoms now you know what to check. It will save you months of guessing and trips to the dealer. I am just happy that after months of trouble this finally seems to be the light at the end of the tunnel. Also there was no oil coming from the air cleaner or anything like that. Also if the engine was overfilled with oil than wouldn't the oil tank be overfilled and just stay in the oil tank? Why is it and how is it going into the cases?

P.S HOGDOCTOR good call

Last edited by pop1; 09-09-2008 at 01:06 PM. Reason: for got to add something
Old 09-09-2008 | 12:46 PM
pop1
|
Road Warrior

velobob have your dealer check your cases.

Old 09-09-2008 | 07:13 PM
gblass1
Advanced

pop1

Thanks for the info, I'll be checking this thread every day to see how you make out.

Just to clarify if this happens to me again, I should pull over shut the bike down and check the dipstick ?

Thanks again

George
2009 FLHRC

Old 09-09-2008 | 11:59 PM
pop1
|
Road Warrior

The dealer called earlier and told me that the bike is ready to be picked up. They said they drained the excess oil that was inside the crankcase and that was the problem. They say the oil level was overfilled at one time and the oil just stayed in the cases. Going to pick it up tomomorow. I'll keep you posted. Hope it is fixed.

Old 09-10-2008 | 09:55 AM
hogdoctor
Tourer

absolutely NOT.. do not take the bike back until the fix the REAL problem...
The engine is a 'dry' sump system, it has two oil pumps... one feed pump that pushes the oil through the filter then on to all the lubrication points, and the second is a return pump that pulls the oil out of the engine and sends it back to the tank. The return pump on the twin cam has two suction lines, one for the cam chest and one for the flywheel cavity. The problem is that the return pump is not sucking oil out of the
flywheel cavity fast enough, so the level builds... just draining the cases is not going to fix -anything-.... either a piston cooling jet fell off and it's dumping oil into the case
or there is a problem with the return pump... make sure they find it and fix it.

Hogdoctor

Quick Reply: 08 Ultra Classic won't go past 75mph