Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Ultra Classic won't go past 75mph

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008 | 02:50 PM
pop1
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Velobob
I'm with you pop1, very frustrating.
Mine is at a different dealer right now getting looked at again. Service manager was going to ride it to try and figure it out.
I'll post my results tonight.
Velobob I have been down this road as well. The problem is the dealer usually rides it for a mile or two which is not long enough to find the problem. It will probably ride just fine when they ride it. Mine has to be on the road at 75-70mph for a extended period of time.

Old 09-05-2008 | 03:54 PM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jhill2209
This is an interesting post.....I just had my fuel filter canister replaced at 11,000 miles.....I swear it now has more throttle response. I was under the impression that it either worked fine, or the tabs broke and you lost total fuel pressure. Maybe some bikes are not running at proper fuel pressure with a small leak in the cannister.....just a thought....
And a good thought!! Exactly what was wrong with mine... just a very small leak in the cannister. They finally found it by checking the fuel pressure. I wasn't getting any more than 2500 rpm's until after the fix and now has more power and throttle response than ever.

Last edited by Ultra 08; 09-08-2008 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-05-2008 | 08:15 PM
hogdoctor
Tourer

I've got a theory that the crankcase may have excess oil in it... kinda like trying to run knee deep in water. Next time you're experiencing this problem, in the midst of the power loss, switch off the engine and drop it in neutral quick... Coast to the side of the road, and let it sit for a minute, then check the oil level very carefully. Then start the engine and let it idle for a minute, then shut if off, wait one minute and check the oil level again. If there's suddenly a bunch of oil in the tank that wasn't there before, then
that proves the theory... oil pump problem.

Hogdoctor

Old 09-07-2008 | 11:30 AM
ratcat
Tourer

Yes hogdoc, we had an 07 here in bellingham Wa. that had that very problem. Took the dealer weeks to find the problem..

On another note.
Is there any way we with the fbw throttle can tell if the ECM is resonding to our comands for full throttle, in other words...are we not getting full throttle at the intake when when we twist the grip?
Is something over riding our desire to go fast?

Old 09-07-2008 | 01:12 PM
pop1
|
Road Warrior

the throttle has been checked as well. The weird $hit is that it will work fine all day then just stop accelerating. The bike will also get crazy hot.

Old 09-07-2008 | 02:30 PM
Desert Hog
Cruiser

Did ya accidently put that E85 fuel in it while in Wisconsin?

Old 09-08-2008 | 04:22 AM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

I had a problem with lint in a filter once. Up to 30 miles per hour the carb got enough fuel. Anything over 30 and more fuel was used than supplied. The faster I went the less distance before the engine stopped. I don't know where they measure fuel pressure but you can have ok pressure and low flow if pressure is measured before a restriction. Is there a speed you can drive for long distances in hot weather without seeing the problem. If it's a heat related sensor problem you can use circuit cool to lower the sensor tempeture. Closed loop control systems are some of the hardest to trouble shoot.

Old 09-08-2008 | 04:28 AM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

On my 07 RG I'm going to replace the narrow band O2 sensors with wide band units that have an extra analog output that can be used with an A/F ratio meter. It will not tell you where the problem is but it will show a A/F problem before you feel it. Unfortunately this is a $600 dianostic tool.

Old 09-08-2008 | 05:55 AM
gblass1
Advanced
Default Same Problem Here

Same exact problem here @ 75-80mph. Happened twice coming back from the 105th. I was guessing it was bad gas or heat. BTW I had the parade mode on and it appeared to be working as it should. Hope someone can figure it out.

George
2009 FLHRC

Old 09-08-2008 | 05:57 AM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain

Get an 09'. Problem solved. T.

Quick Reply: 08 Ultra Classic won't go past 75mph