Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Ultra Classic won't go past 75mph

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008 | 12:27 AM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Velobob
I picked it up and I have the same problem.
3000 rpm and no more acceleration.
I am supposed to leave Saturday on a week long road trip to Utah and I don't know if my 08 Ultra with 5500 miles on it will make the trip!!!!
I can't begin to tell you how frustrated I am with the bike and mostly the dealer.
What parts of Utah are you riding through? Anywhere near Salt Lake City? And if so, what day do you think you will be there?

Last edited by flyingace; 09-05-2008 at 12:33 AM.
Old 09-05-2008 | 06:28 AM
Bigredone
Road Master

Try fresh fuel (non- ethonol), change out the plugs regardless of what they look like.

Old 09-05-2008 | 08:52 AM
Velobob
Advanced

Running on fresh fuel from different city, different brand.

Flying Ace- So. Utah. Zion, Boulder, Escalante etc.

I'm taking it to a different dealer this morning and getting on my knees to grovel, beg and plead to help me out.

Old 09-05-2008 | 10:28 AM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Velobob
Running on fresh fuel from different city, different brand.

Flying Ace- So. Utah. Zion, Boulder, Escalante etc.

I'm taking it to a different dealer this morning and getting on my knees to grovel, beg and plead to help me out.
Kinda figured. If your still having issues, I HIGHLY recommend HD of SLC for service. Talk to Parker or Loyd. They are really good at helping people who are out on the road.

Zion HD, which is near St. George, is down in the general area your going, but I don't have a lot of experience with them. (they are actually owned by the same people as Las Vegas HD)

I sent you a PM with my Cell number. If you run into problems, Ill do what I can to help you out, although Ill be a ways away from you. But if it gets bad while your in Utah, give me a ring.

ACE

Old 09-05-2008 | 11:00 AM
Mars
Cruiser

I rode my 08 UC through CA and NV desert heat, almost 110 degrees out at 80 mph ALL DAY for a trip from CA to WA a few weeks back. In traffic I had the parade mode kicking in and out every time I slowed down, but the bike picked back up and ran perfectly whenever I started moving along again. I imagine I totally cooked the oil but the bike ran like a champ no matter how hot it got out (and it was H_O_T). At the time it had about 2k miles on it, bone stock. Keep us informed about this. Scary.

Old 09-05-2008 | 11:30 AM
1goindiesel
Road Master

I read somewhere on here that another guy was having similar probs. Turned out he had an air leak at his intake manifold. This make a lot of sense as it would cause a extreme lean condition. Would not show up so much until hot as the motor should richen/choke the mixture when cold and then lean it when warmed up. Said his was running great now that they fixed it. Were I you I would be searching for an air breach. Just a thought. Hope it helps you.

Old 09-05-2008 | 11:51 AM
robzuc97
Road Master

Sounds like too hot and went to partial shutdown. Any trouble codes present? These should have shown up. I got stuck in traffic before and my 97 FLSTC damned near locked up (I could hear it slowing) from the heat. Next time take it easy on the speed and throttle and should be fine.

Old 09-05-2008 | 01:39 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1goindiesel
I read somewhere on here that another guy was having similar probs. Turned out he had an air leak at his intake manifold. This make a lot of sense as it would cause a extreme lean condition. Would not show up so much until hot as the motor should richen/choke the mixture when cold and then lean it when warmed up. Said his was running great now that they fixed it. Were I you I would be searching for an air breach. Just a thought. Hope it helps you.
This would be easy to check, remove the air cleaner cover only, lightly spray some starting fluid or brake cleaner around the intake joints. If the idle raises there is your leak.

Old 09-05-2008 | 02:12 PM
pop1
|
Road Warrior

I've tried different gas, different downloads, mine is still at the dealer no word yet. I am praying they find it. This is so frustrating

Old 09-05-2008 | 02:19 PM
Velobob
Advanced

I'm with you pop1, very frustrating.
Mine is at a different dealer right now getting looked at again. Service manager was going to ride it to try and figure it out.
I'll post my results tonight.

Quick Reply: 08 Ultra Classic won't go past 75mph