Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Ultra Classic won't go past 75mph

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008 | 08:53 AM
pop1
|
Road Warrior

[QUOTE tda69 As part of the heat management program, do you suppose it went in to Single Cylinder Engine Cooling mode?[/QUOTE]

I thought about it at first but I have one of the early model 08's. My bike never had the parade mode feature and I never requested to have it downloaded. I have heard the bikes made after 12/08 (I think it was) have the parade download already installed. The bike first started this issue on the highway when the bike had around 2500 miles on it. Now the problem continues but I have around 8200 miles. The only thing that has been consistent is if the bike is ran at about 80mph on a hot day for about 30-50 miles it starts acting up. (Major loss of power, won't pass either 75 or 80mph, and it starts pinging.)

Old 09-02-2008 | 09:09 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

If it's not a fuel delivery problem, you may have gotten a bad tune when the SERT was used. By "bad" I simply mean that the afr is so lean with the timing advanced to the point that the knock sensor is retarding the timing to compensate causing a loss of power. It's definitely NOT a "normal" condition that you are experiencing.

Hope you get it fixed.

Old 09-02-2008 | 10:26 AM
pop1
|
Road Warrior

Pingman thanks for the advice. My dealer has already tried a couple different tunes. I told him the problem is when they test ride the bike it has been sitting in their shop for 8 hours. Then they get on ride it around the block and say "it runs great" i need them to get it hot then see what I'm talking about. I get the feeling Everyone in the service department is starting to think I'M a chronic complainer although I feel that I have had more problems than most people.

Old 09-02-2008 | 10:53 AM
cadman311
Club Member

Just maybe they run the RPM'S out. I know most any harley will get 75 MPH coming out of second gear into third gear. But if you are out there doing 50 MPH in 6 gear and trying to do 75 MPH the Harley will Lug on you. Not knock.

Old 09-02-2008 | 11:12 AM
pop1
|
Road Warrior

I'm usually in 6th gear at 75mph when it occurs and it just won't pull any more. It starts to knock when I try. I have expericenced the same issues at 75mph in 5th gear. It just won't go. It sounds like a bunch on tiny little rocks hitting my gas tank.

Old 09-02-2008 | 12:25 PM
caymen8
Tourer

It certainly isn't the altitude. I drive my '08 RG over 10,000 feet all the time and have never had any problem - runs like a champ at high altitude.

Old 09-02-2008 | 10:22 PM
Velobob
Advanced

I have the same problem and it started up after my 5k service AND the recall replacement. I first noticed it over the weekend and again today while riding to work. It just seems bogged down. No acceleration after about 60mph.
I took it to the dealer tonight in a bit of a panic as we leave for a weeklong trip to Utah this weekend.
I will post what I learn.

Old 09-02-2008 | 11:29 PM
ratcat
Tourer

I had an issue with sluggish power, and found out I had over filled the oil tank...and oil had socked the paper air cleaner, due to the oil blow by.

Old 09-03-2008 | 08:18 AM
pop1
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Velobob
I have the same problem and it started up after my 5k service AND the recall replacement. I first noticed it over the weekend and again today while riding to work. It just seems bogged down. No acceleration after about 60mph.
I took it to the dealer tonight in a bit of a panic as we leave for a weeklong trip to Utah this weekend.
I will post what I learn.
My issue also started after the recall replacement. Mine is also going to the dealer today. The dealer told me he will call the factory and see if they have heard anything about this.

Old 09-03-2008 | 09:33 AM
rerb95
Road Warrior

Hey guys good luck with your problems, I hope they get'em fixed. I also have a 08 (Street Glide) although I havent had any of these problems. hopefully I wont either, but the 5000 check is coming up fast...
Again hope you guys get it fixed, and POP1 what dealer are you using? I have had great luck with City Limits in Palatine. I thought you said you were from Chicago... just a thought.

RJ

Quick Reply: 08 Ultra Classic won't go past 75mph