Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handle bars (again) vs. ABS

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Sketz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Handle bars (again) vs. ABS

I know there are a lot of threads out there on swapping out handle bars on the RK, and I'm also looking to do the same thing. As I look at the Harley web site I see that some will not fit on an '08 with ABS. Does anyone know why this would be, I'm sure there's a reason, but I sure can't understand what ABS has to do with handlebars or how the handlebars would be affected???
Thanks

Old 09-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Lil3rdSt
Advanced

I am wanting to change my bars on my '08 RKC with ABS too.

I read somewhere on the forums is because they do not have the ABS extenders (for the ABS cabling) yet. The extenders are supposed to be out before too long.

I would like to have my bars get back to me by at least an inch maybe two. Happens when you are a 5'7" short ****.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:14 AM
jjr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ABS I suspect that HD does not have the brake line available as of yet. I just put on a set of the "new Heritage" bars that are made for the ABS. They seem ok for now, if I have to swap out again I will stop this silliness and just get the helibars as that would be a final solution as they are completely adjustable.

Originally Posted by Sketz
I know there are a lot of threads out there on swapping out handle bars on the RK, and I'm also looking to do the same thing. As I look at the Harley web site I see that some will not fit on an '08 with ABS. Does anyone know why this would be, I'm sure there's a reason, but I sure can't understand what ABS has to do with handlebars or how the handlebars would be affected???
Thanks

Old 09-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Sketz
Cruiser
Red face

Thanks guys, that all makes sense now! I'm also 5'7" and looking at the RK "Heritage" bars since they don't need any extensions - it seems that most folks on the other threads like them, so hopefully they'll be fine for a short person like me. It's really a pain to be changing out bars on these later model RK's, with any luck these may be my last (on this bike anyway).

Old 09-01-2008, 12:31 PM
06UltraBig95
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey there guys, I heard all the same scare tactics from my stealer, and finaly said screw it, as it wasn't worth the pain, so off with the stock crap, and on on with the 14 in apes.
Best thing I could have done to the king by far.
As for the ABS I just ran a russel platinum braided 8+ over stock, bled out the air, and all is good now, no more pain and the bike looks right evil.
I get a lot of complements on her, and she rides like a dream.
Just call Johnny at www.hdbikeparts,com and he will take care of you.
PM me if you need some pictures of the iron