Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need carb jetting recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 07:57 PM
blueEglide
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need carb jetting recommendations

I have a 2005 carb E-Glide Classic. I have upgraded the cams (26g), exhaust (Rinehardt truduals), Big sucker air cleaner. I need a starting point for the jetting. I had a shop do all the work which put in 195/50 jets. I dont think this is good? I get 32 mpg. Is that right?

Old 08-31-2008, 08:13 PM
Blueflame1
Tourer

I just bought a 1995 Utlra, on the ride home was getting 30 MPG so will be doing a re-jet and adjusting the the carb for better MPG as well.

Not sure what jets it currently has I have not opened her up yet but only getting 100 miles before the gauge hits the red zone is not going to happen for much longer.

Has Vance and Hines True Duals, K&N, Andrews Cam and 10:1 pistons so is flowing more air but running wayyyyyy too rich.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:36 PM
blueEglide
6th Gear

So 32 isnt ok for my setup?

Old 08-31-2008, 08:58 PM
Blueflame1
Tourer

You should be getting about 40 MPG on the hi-way and #195 sounds too big. Check this out :-

http://www.harley-performance.com/ha...r-jetting.html

The site suggest to first check your air/fuel adjustment under your carb before replacing the jets, I think stock was 165, so perhaps you only need to go up to a 170 at the most. Your main jet comes into play at 3/4 to full throttle, so also change the low jet first is what is suggested.

But, check the air/fuel setting....it is the screw, under the carb. Perhaps this will help you and you dont need to re-jet.

All new bikes have fuel injection, so tuning a CV carb is becoming a dying art.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:11 PM
cmcsns
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

try a fresh set of spark plugs, a ride down the hwy with little to no idle time and then read the plugs; any "pop" or hesitation when you crack it?

Old 08-31-2008, 09:15 PM
blueEglide
6th Gear

Thank you very much....Sounds very easy....Even for a dumb @ss like me....

Old 08-31-2008, 09:31 PM
blueEglide
6th Gear

Are your recommendations for my setup? I was told I would lose mpg with the bigger cams....

Old 08-31-2008, 09:51 PM
new_mentor70
Tourer

Originally Posted by blueEglide
Are your recommendations for my setup? I was told I would lose mpg with the bigger cams....
thats missinformation for sure.

I have way bigger cams and I get over 40, and on a good day 44-46.

but, you may have to get the engine more efficient to get better milage.

raising cylinder presure abit, CCing and porting cylinder heads and such.

the idea is to get the engine to give you more torque with less throttle opening.

Philm and Dalton have big 120 HQ builds and get over 40 as well, but their using FI.

HQ has CV tuning kits that alter the needles sizes and timming which is where the milage realy is, not nessisary the main jet.

I run the Mikuni 42 and I use their tuning kit, it took a little fuel out of the low-midrange where your running on the highway at crusing speeds, then I choose the correct main for WOT power and dailed the rest of the cuvre in with the jet needle.

the main may not be your problem, the jet needle is what is metering fuel and highway speeds

Old 08-31-2008, 09:57 PM
blueEglide
6th Gear

I guess I need to get the carb checked out.....The shop went was a rip off.....I and goijng to try another shop.....

Old 08-31-2008, 10:08 PM
Blueflame1
Tourer

Yes, you will loose some MPG because your bike is now sucking in and blowing out more air, so it needs more fuel to burn correctly. Is is all about the air/fuel ratio.

The cam opens the valves for a longer duration allowing more air in and out between each compression stroke and the stock bikes were leaned to a point where EPA would be happy, but, the stock bike run like crap.

A Stage 1 in the absolute minimum that every owner should do to get the best out of their bike and get it to run the way the MOCO wanted it to run to begin with, but, due to EPA HD can't.

You have done the right thing by adding the Stage 1 mods, now just need to dial in the carb properly.

What MPG were you getting before ?

I have a 80" Softail EVO Stage 1 (Carb Mods include thunderslide, needle, jets, breather K&N, free flow pipes, EV27 Cam, Barnette extra plate clutch) and get 45 MPG, perhaps more if I was easy on the throttle and could ride 55 which I can't. I have had this bike since new and can tell you that it is a totally different bike than it was when stock.

With the 80" EVO Ultra, I'm only getting 30 MPG, so know that it can do better than that even though the bagger is like the titanic compared to the Softail.

Quick Reply: Need carb jetting recommendations