Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 vs 09

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 10:21 AM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by PITA
But there is no way a change to 40+ pounds, a longer wheelbase and a fatter rear will result in better low speed manners, unless the Harley fairies sprinkle some magic dust that defies logic…nice try WW1.
Or unless they changed the steering head trail numbers and tire profiles to accomplish just that.

You go right ahead and keep your 08 (and your smart *** sarcasm) and enjoy it. Makes no difference to me. The man asked for my opinion, and I gave it. (and indicated it clearly as such) As for "frame flex", or whatever you choose to call it, (and its not the frame flexing, its the swing arm shifting sideways in the frame) Id rather be without it, as much as possible, thank you. Its MY *** on the line, I get to choose.

You feel free to choose for yourself.

Last edited by flyingace; 09-05-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:24 AM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

The extra 100 pounds of load means nothing to those of us who don’t exceed the already generous GVWR.
What it means is having some LEEWAY, being in the MIDDLE Of the suspension adjustment range, instead of pushing the limits of adjustments just for typical loads. If you cant see the advantage in that, then... hell, nevermind. Enjoy your bike.

Last edited by flyingace; 09-05-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:25 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Isn't the so called wobble the reason some state police stopped using Harleys. They considered it a safety issue.
Tom

Old 09-05-2008, 10:34 AM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tmitchellof PG
Isn't the so called wobble the reason some state police stopped using Harleys. They considered it a safety issue.
Tom
I believe so. But I recall it was more the front end issue, not the *** end issue. The front end issue has been claimed to cause a few tank slappers/crashes.

front end issue: instablity at high speed due to the forks behind the head design
*** end issue: the swingarm shifting sideways in the rubber mounts during cornering.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:00 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

The dreaded wobble is not the frame flexing.

MY INTERPRATATION OF THE PROBLEM. PLEASE TAKE WITH A GRAIN OF SALT

The motor is rubber mounted and permited to move longitudinally by design but is not supposed to mover laterally. In reality there is some slight movement in the lateral direction under certain conditions. The swing arm is mounted to the rear of the motor...NOT directly to the frame. Now imagine if you will the motor moving longitudinally and ever so slightly laterally with the swing are attached. They are in essence floating about the centerline of the frame via the rubber mounts. Under heavy loading (especiall lateral loads in a corner), the swing are can mover in a lateral manner ever so slightly due to the rubber motor mount design.

As I previously stated, I understand the theory of why the design allows some slight movement. I have been lucky so far and have not experienced it. I also wonder if the new upper front motor mount on the 08s improved the situation somewhat. I plan trying a few tests next time I am out riding the bike alone. One person suggested just shifting your body weight suddenly from side to side at about 50 mph and you would feel it...even when going straight.

Anyway, the rear stablizers tie the swing arm to the frame and prevent lateral movement. Easy improvement for those who are concerned. By most accounts so far, the 09s do not need this addition. I have only read one account of the wobble on an 09.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:34 PM
PITA
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ww1flyingace
Or unless they changed the steering head trail numbers and tire profiles to accomplish just that.

You go right ahead and keep your 08 (and your smart *** sarcasm) and enjoy it. Makes no difference to me. The man asked for my opinion, and I gave it. (and indicated it clearly as such) As for "frame flex", or whatever you choose to call it, (and its not the frame flexing, its the swing arm shifting sideways in the frame) Id rather be without it, as much as possible, thank you. Its MY *** on the line, I get to choose.

You feel free to choose for yourself.
Yes, they increased the trail without touching the rake which would enhance highway stability but do nothing positive for slow speed handling, 'nor would wider lower profile tires help with low speed turn in, so you're wrong bud. There is no reason why an '09 would have better low speed handling than an '08, just the contrary.

And I said chassis flex, not frame flex...the swingarm forms part of the chassis, no?

Since you're putting in such an effort, let me also remind you that some criticisms of the '09's is that the ride is too firm.

All I'm saying is yes, there is mostly positives on the '09, but some negatives too.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:38 PM
PITA
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tmitchellof PG
Tom
I'd say there are just too many better options for police bikes nowadays as opposed to whatever wobble has suddenly appeared after decades of continued service.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:23 PM
IRready
Road Master

So the ’08 to ’09 is just like going from a 286 to a pentium??? Oh shut up already! You guys sound like some sportbikes types I know, always needing to trade in for the next big thing but I still see them getting passed at the local track days by guys on decade old bikes.

if you think the changes are huge then go ahead and buy ‘em and support the MoCo. Just don’t BS the rest of us.
So if new changes are just supporting the moco, wft are you doing with an 08?

Sounds like your real motive is to stir sh%t. I'm wondering if you even have a MC and are posting during recess. 09 brings good changes as I am sure future bikes will as well. Nothing wrong with earlier models but it is what it is. Only BS is coming from your wanting attention.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:43 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes, they increased the trail without touching the rake which would enhance highway stability but do nothing positive for slow speed handling, 'nor would wider lower profile tires help with low speed turn in, so you're wrong bud. There is no reason why an '09 would have better low speed handling than an '08, just the contrary.
I know how my first 3 handled, and I know how this one handles. Have YOU ridden one? (more than for a 20 min demo ride) Or are you just another keyboard jockey talking out his *** about something you have no personal experience with?

And I said chassis flex, not frame flex...the swingarm forms part of the chassis, no?
No, actually you said FRAME flex, until you went back and edited the post to change it.

Since you're putting in such an effort, let me also remind you that some criticisms of the '09's is that the ride is too firm.
Yep, and I was one who stated as such. UNTIL, I realized that the high shock air pressure settings I used for my 07, 05, and 03, are no longer needed. When I put the same 20-25 lbs. in the back that I used (solo) for my 07, yea, the 09 rode like a brick. Until I realized that I don't NEED that much air, since the shocks have had the load capacity INCREASED (I know, you don't think that would matter unless your over the max load rating) so that now I can run with 5-10 lbs in the back and it rides BETTER than the prev. 3 bikes did. In short, the pressures listed in the OWNERS MANUAL are actually pretty accurate now, from my perspective, which has never been the case before. If those same people (who complained about the ride) would take 20 minutes and READ the manual, and/or experiment with the air pressure, they just might find things can be better. Then again, how many of those complaining about the ride, are pissed off 08 owners, and have the sum total of their experience with an 09 in a 20 minute demo ride, where more than likely, there were not allowed to check or adjust the air pressure in the shocks, or had even THOUGHT of that, since we all know the 09s are just the same bike with a fatter tire.

If my "effort" to help others make informed choices offends you somehow, sorry. (not really) Im far more concerned with those who are actually INTERESTED in the 09s. Not those trying to convince themselves that all that changed was a fatter rear tire because they bought a year too early.

All I'm saying is yes, there is mostly positives on the '09, but some negatives too.
Ill let you know when I find the negatives. Oh, there's one, I had to pay for the thing.

Last edited by flyingace; 09-05-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:44 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by IRready
So if new changes are just supporting the moco, wft are you doing with an 08?

Sounds like your real motive is to stir sh%t. I'm wondering if you even have a MC and are posting during recess. 09 brings good changes as I am sure future bikes will as well. Nothing wrong with earlier models but it is what it is. Only BS is coming from your wanting attention.
His screen name is pretty accurate, from what I have seen of his postings.

Quick Reply: 08 vs 09