Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 vs 09

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 07:58 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mp
I certainly wouldn't be in a rush to buy the new two-piece frame. If you get a Bagger Brace or something similar, your frame will work as well as any ever made.
Wrong.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:59 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Worlok
Keep the 08 unless you just like wasting money. The only significant difference is the wide rear tire and you almost have to get on your hands and knees to see it.
Wrong.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:43 PM
MassHD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well Flying Ace help me out here. Do I put money into new wheels and new bars and a stabilizer for 5 K. Or do I put the 5K and my 08 bike into getting and 09. I'm thinking if I make the move it's now or never. Once I drop another 5G's I need to keep it for a while

Old 09-03-2008, 08:49 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

Im at work at the moment, check back late tonight, or tomorrow. Dont have time just now to respond as I really would like to (thoroughly).

Quickly though, I can say this. You started out by saying "money aside"

In a nutshell, money aside, YES, the 09 is more than worth it. But we both know that money IS an issue.

Lemme ask you this, what did you own BEFORE the 08?

Ill get back with you when Im no so slammed here at work.

Last edited by flyingace; 09-03-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:56 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

Go rent one for a day...why let folks on the internet decide for you? My advice is to keep your bike nearly stock if you are the type that likes to trade often. You are going to lose your @ss trading in...especially if you sink a ton of money in mods. The 09s are probably better than your 08 but the 2010 will be better than the 09 and so on. Its an endless cycle. Harley is selling over 300,000 bikes a year. They have to get us trading in to make those numbers. They can't do it by growing market share alone. They need guys like FlyingAce, me and you to trade our late model bikes in. The question is, do you place enough value on the 09 to shell out the ticket price. Only you can answer that and the best way to do it is to ride one. What you will hear on this forum is guys justifying why they traded and others justifying why they didn't. Nothing wrong either way...its all good but everyone has different priorities.

I am going to ride one and see how it compares to my 08. I can afford any bike(s) I want. But I do know the value of a dollar and won't throw money away chasing things.

Go ride one...

Old 09-03-2008, 09:00 PM
MassHD
Road Warrior

I'll check back tomorrow but I had an 03 SERK. I started on an 98 Fat boy to a 2000 Duece to a 02 Ultra to an 03 SERK.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:07 PM
MassHD
Road Warrior

Strat I agree on everything you said. I would not be even thinking about it if it wasn't for the frame upgrade. Size of wheels and cubic inches can always be added but the frame that another story. If it's what people are saying they may and I mean may have fixed the problem.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:36 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just my .02 cents but I'd keep the '08 and enjoy it. Save your money for a nice vacation or something other than supporting the MoCo and their dealers. Nothing wrong with the '08's at all.....

Old 09-03-2008, 09:55 PM
cmcsns
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm more than happy with my 08 and I'll probably ride it til the wheels fall off. IMO it's about the 'relationship' you have with your ride; mine does just about everything I ask of it, puts that big grin on my face everytime I fire it up and I still get 'butterflys' when I'm ready to hit the road. If I NEED it to do more I can make adjustments. If I have to alter my riding style due to limitations of the bike that I can't fix, then maybe it's time to make a change. I also have a great wife; now I've heard that some of the newer models look and perform better.... ya get the point? If I spend too much time looking at what I don't have, I'll never be content with what I do have. I've also never owned or ridden a bike with ABS which I hear is the best thing since sliced bread, consequently, I don't 'miss' it. Hell, for years I didn't run a front brake! If I trade or sell my bike every year, how can I make it 'my bike'? Must be gettin old cause I need more time than that! I guess the point is that there's always gonna be a "better" mousetrap, the question is which one gets the job done for me?

Old 09-03-2008, 10:01 PM
bowtie18
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I love my 09. That being said, I traded in a 2006 Yamaha Road Star for it!

It was a good bike, and I got a good trade in value for it (7K).

No way would I think about trading in a 2008 HD for it. You will come out on the bad end of that trade. Just too new!

Wait!

Quick Reply: 08 vs 09