Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tall riders and Street Glide....Is there hope?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 09:22 PM
spag
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tall riders and Street Glide....Is there hope?

I got to test ride an 09 Street Glide today. Really liked a lot about the bike, but once I was on the freeway, the love ended. I realize the shorty windshield isn't really meant for the freeway, but it was really bad.

I'm 6'5", 34 inseam, so I have a pretty long torso. From reading some posts, doesn't sound like the shield off the EG is even going to solve the problem. I like the bike, but as much freeway as I do, I can't have a bike that's knocking me around like that. I quite riding my BMW for the same reason. Just couldn't take it any longer. Seems like getting a taller seat would only make it worse as well.

I do ride with a full face helmet. I'm okay even on sportbikes where there is no real fairing, as at least the air is clean. The buffeting is a dealbreaker though. I don't want to be reduced to getting a Goldwing. Yuck.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Sodiee
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea,the Street Glides windshield is pretty much useless.I'm 6'1" and I have a Clearvies 8" recurve that works for me.I also like to look over my windshield,not through it.As tall as you are,you probably need a 9 1/2" or 12 " windsheild.All bikes need a little personal adjustment to make them more comfortable.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:42 PM
LookMaNoHands
Tourer

I'm 6'7" and tried a 4" shorty windshield on my EG 'cause it looked cool. It didn't last very long before I went back to the stock 12" and ultimately to a 12" clearview.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:48 PM
06WideGlide
Cruiser

Lots on this forum swear but the half moon wings shield and it can be had in any height for a very reasonable price. I will probably put one on my new Street Glide. By the way, it is an awesome ride. Need to change my userid.

http://www.customflhtwindshields.net/

Steve

Old 08-30-2008, 09:49 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by spag

I do ride with a full face helmet. I'm okay even on sportbikes where there is no real fairing, as at least the air is clean. The buffeting is a dealbreaker though. I don't want to be reduced to getting a Goldwing. Yuck.
The worst buffeting I've had to deal with was on my GL1800. If I raised the shield to the highest it didn't buffet me but then I was looking through it, air pressure was pushing my head forward, and it made my wife's buffeting unbearable. I finally sawed 3" off the standard screen and left it all the way down as a compromise., moderate buffeting for both of us. I am 6' with 32" inseam and the Goldwing seating position had me cramped. Plenty of room for the passenger though.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:04 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by spag
I got to test ride an 09 Street Glide today. Really liked a lot about the bike, but once I was on the freeway, the love ended. I realize the shorty windshield isn't really meant for the freeway, but it was really bad.

I'm 6'5", 34 inseam, so I have a pretty long torso. From reading some posts, doesn't sound like the shield off the EG is even going to solve the problem. I like the bike, but as much freeway as I do, I can't have a bike that's knocking me around like that. I quite riding my BMW for the same reason. Just couldn't take it any longer. Seems like getting a taller seat would only make it worse as well.

I'm 5'8" tall and purchased the Cee Bailey's 11" (actual size 8" do to the curve) dark gray Step Contour (SSC) Windshield and like it a lot. I can see over it easily with the stock seat and it blocks most of the wind. See more pics on my photo gallery. I had the 6 1/2" tall HD windshield also, but the wind would come over the top and want to rip my skull cap off. This does not happen with the Cee Bailey's shield.

Here are several more places to get taller windshields.

Custom FLHT Windshields has extra wide windshields at many heights.

Clearview Shields

Klock Werks Kustom Cycles

Old 08-30-2008, 10:33 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertk
I'm 5'8" tall and purchased the Cee Bailey's 11" (actual size 8" do to the curve) dark gray Step Contour (SSC) Windshield and like it a lot. I can see over it easily with the stock seat and it blocks most of the wind. See more pics on my photo gallery. I had the 6 1/2" tall HD windshield also, but the wind would come over the top and want to rip my skull cap off. This does not happen with the Cee Bailey's shield.

Here are several more places to get taller windshields.

Custom FLHT Windshields has extra wide windshields at many heights.

Clearview Shields

Klock Werks Kustom Cycles
Don't forget about the FastAire windshields. Very good quality and reasonably priced. Buy a coupe different sizes and experiment before you think about spending big bucks on some of other brands
http://www.fastaire.com/Windshields.html

Old 08-30-2008, 10:42 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by acchd
Don't forget about the FastAire windshields. Very good quality and reasonably priced. Buy a coupe different sizes and experiment before you think about spending big bucks on some of other brands
http://www.fastaire.com/Windshields.html
Forgot all about Fastaire. Thanks for reminding me.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:44 PM
pbernotas
2nd Gear

I have an 09 Streetglide and I am 6' 3". I had to wear goggles from the wind on my glasses! I bought a 9" tinted fastaire shield for $40 and most people don't know difference from stock. It solved my issues. I went cheap because all my cash went into the new bike purchase but I am very pleased!

Pat@Kokomo

Old 08-30-2008, 11:02 PM
spag
Intermediate

I don't think I could stand looking through a shield. Would take a lot of getting used to. I also noticed that when sitting on the UG that the stock shield seemed to distort the view when I looked through it. I know that Cee Bailey, and probably others are supposed to be more optically, neutral I guess. Still, I'd rather not go down that road. I'm hoping I can find something that works with the batwing that I can see over, though I know it will be close to my line of sight.

Quick Reply: Tall riders and Street Glide....Is there hope?