Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Road glide pulls to the Left

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 10:06 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

I was told that clutch cable sitting firmly against the engine guard is pulling the bike left. I think there is an easy way to test that theory, next time you have the bike on a jack, turn the wheel full right or left and let go to watch how the front wheel responds. I think the book says it should go back and forth two times. Now disconnect the clutch cable and do the same thing. The front wheel should act different.

The other reason I think this might be the problem is that if the left side of the bike is heavier, simply shifting your weight a little should fix the problem. But if the front wheel is pulling the bike left, then it would take a lot more weight to counter it.

If it turns out to be a clutch cable, then maybe it is just a matter of getting a longer one.

Beary

Old 08-31-2008, 10:30 AM
ratcat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to try putting my wallet in my left pocket to see if that would help solve the"left pull", but I think I would look like a dog chasing it's tail...while reaching for it at the gas pumps.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:51 AM
Emporers New Clothes
Cruiser

It's not alignment it's your liquid primary if youve never ridden a bike with a dry primary you wouldn't understand but the added liquid on the left will always cause this to happen. My alignment is spot on and I have a very well balanced bike and it still drifts to the left.... WET PRIMARY

Old 08-31-2008, 08:12 PM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

As for some of the post, yeah, there is more weight on the left side. Big deal, my other bike never pulled as this one does. After looking at the front stabilizer again I see that the left side is attached to the frame, so in adjusting it both the motor, and motor mount move together with the adjustment. I adjusted on it some today with better results in that the bike doesnt pull as quickly to the left. Hopefully, I'll have enough adjustment with the front motor mount that I'll be able to get the rest of it out. Thanks for the replies.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:18 PM
hogdoctor
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh and before I forget, another way to shift weight from one side to the other, if you have spoked wheels, you can move the rims over on the hub by adjusting the spokes.
That can have a big impact on balance.

hogdoc

Old 08-31-2008, 08:22 PM
littlebear
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what its worth my 08 Roadglide pulls to the left also. I do not ride without hands on the bars so it has not been any major thing

Old 08-31-2008, 08:26 PM
Your mama
Novice

Originally Posted by littlebear
For what its worth my 08 Roadglide pulls to the left also. I do not ride without hands on the bars so it has not been any major thing
Ditto, mine too. 08 RG and wants to go left if I let go. No ghost riding this baby...

Old 08-31-2008, 08:36 PM
budwfo
Road Captain

This might sound odd but when i ride solo with the tour pack on it does not drift,,i take the tour pack off and it drifts to the left a bit,,,go figure..

Old 08-31-2008, 10:15 PM
MFA
Advanced

I have a theory (at least for my SG). I noticed that while I have it on the lift, the wheel always points slightly to the right. When I move handle bar to one end and let it loose (while on the lift) it swings back and forth a few times and always settles slightly pointing to the right. I looked closely what might be causing it, and I think the way the clutch cable is routed it pushes on the left side of the faring thus causing the wheel points to the right. During driving, this would cause the bike to tend to go left (counter steering). Today I tried a test while driving, I pulled at the clutch cable where it enters the faring, and after which I drove with my hands off the handle bars. I notices for a while it no longer wanted to go right. I will continue to experiment.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:29 PM
Orion1369
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I took my 08 RG into Savannah HD for pulling to the left. First question out of Service Manager's mouth "Did you buy the motorcycle here?" Answer "no" next question who did the 1000 mile service? He knew they did not do it cause of no record. His reply was Harley would only warrant it to the first 1000 miles and wanted to charge me $117 for their labor. Only thing bad with that is it still pulled to the left after their labor efforts and he had to take it off the bill. I have a copy of the bill if anyone does not believe me. They are the reason I service both my wife's EG which by the way does not pull and my RG. I got no use for a liar of a service manager.

Quick Reply: 08 Road glide pulls to the Left