Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring with dog anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Born2Glide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are some really cool trailers, we want to start taking our little one. She is only 5½ lbs. so we don't need a trailer. I am not sure how to get her use to the pipes, scares her every time I start the bike. We are taking it slow by letting her sit on it with out it running, and letting it idle for a little bit with her close by. I guess it will just take time.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:17 PM
blueride
Tourer
Smile Ear plugs

Born2Glide, I would try to protect her ears somehow. Most pipes on our harley's are way too loud for a dogs hearing.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Born2Glide
Road Master

Yeah, my Rineharts are pretty loud, maybe some dogie ear muffs?

Last edited by Born2Glide; 08-30-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:01 PM
SGChick
Tourer

blueride,

Yep...I too was worried about the noise and fumes...especially with a Harley. I did some research and talked to a few people who have Harleys and heard the same thing....the noise is not bad at all. I couldn't put our dog in the trailer without checking it out for myself...so....guess who was the first rider in the trailer...yep...you guessed it...it was me. So I do know first hand that the pipes are not too loud...nor can you smell any exhaust. The ride is not as smooth as a car...but not bad...about like a pickup truck. Our dog loves it. She's been over 5,000 miles in it. We're getting ready to take a trip up the coast to Port Townsend, WA on the 5th of September...can't wait!

Old 08-31-2008, 06:11 PM
SGChick
Tourer

Hi Mark! I've seen your trailer before ...maybe on a different forum and loved it. Your dogs look like they have a great time!!! One of these days...maybe we will be able to connect. We're taking off for Port Townsend, WA on the 5th of September...but we're going up highway 1 all the way. Trying to beat some heat! Be sure and let us know if you're ever around our area. We'd love to check out your trailer too!!

As for storing some gear in our trailer...I guess we probably could. We have put an extra ice chest (small) in there that acts like a little air conditioner for our dog...but don't usually store much gear in the trailer. We both have tour packs that we put on when on a trip longer than a weekend. Here's a link to the air conditoner we use for our dog when it's hot out. We have a temp guage in the trailer and my boyfriend has a guage that he can read while we're ridng to make sure it doesn't get too hot for our dog. Yeah...she's one spoiled pup!!

http://www.kooleraire.com/

Old 08-31-2008, 06:15 PM
SGChick
Tourer

Born2glide...beautiful pup!! What kind is she and how big will she get?

Old 08-31-2008, 06:15 PM
Mr Zip
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats awesome. when I bought my first bike 20 years ago, the guy who lived next to me had a dog that used to jump in his bike on the back seat and stay there when he rode. He loved it. Thats cool to see your setups for taking your dogs.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:19 PM
SGChick
Tourer

Cute pups! We thought about a sidecar at one time too! Love the way they look, but decidied on the trailer for the ease of taking it on and off in less than 5 minutes.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:34 PM
ironhead3fan
Road Master

Well, I guess this was probably 20 years ago in Myrtle Beach. There was a wrench there on Rt 501, there on the point. He had a carpet covered board strapped to the back of his bike. His 75 lb female Doberman would just jump up and sit on the back while he pulled away. He said the dog rode on the back everyday, to and from work. Damnedest thing I ever saw.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:49 PM
berettag
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Gotta love it!

Great thread. I've been wanting to take my German Shepherd, Scooter Dawg, riding with me for some time. I was looking at side cars but never thought of using a trailer (duh!). Thanks for starting this one! Ride Safe, Ride Often.

Quick Reply: Touring with dog anyone?