Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel filter recall

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 10:21 PM
rcartie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel filter recall

does any one know anything about the safety recall on fuel filters? I heard something on the Harley message while on hold to talk with a rep.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:57 PM
LDUltra
6th Gear

HD sent out a letter stating that the 08's made in 07 had a faulty fuel filter that could fail causing bodily injury and death so they highly recommend that it be replaced at the hardy stealer. I had it done cant tell any difference although they did find that my sprocket bearing was bad and replaced that also. along with the air shocks and triple tree bearing that was also bad and the nut holding the front end to the frame was loose. so Im glad i took it in,.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:18 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If you haven't gotten a letter yet, your bike is probably not involved. The recall covers all 2008 touring bikes made from the beginning of the model year production (sometime in May 2007) to December 11, 2007. If your bike was made after the 11th, you're in the clear.

BTW, the recall doesn't involve the fuel filter itself, but rather the plastic fuel filter canister. The original ones had a faulty design that allowed the canister bases to come loose. With the canister open, the fuel pump can't maintain fuel pressure, so the engine dies from fuel starvation. If your engine croaks at the wrong place and time, it could prove fatal, hence the safety recall.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:50 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by XTrooper3936
...The recall covers all 2008 touring bikes made from the beginning of the model year production (sometime in May 2007) to December 11, 2007....
FWIW, I don't think HD is not completely sure of the cut-off date. They are now looking at the production number on the fuel filter shell itself...under the 260 something range and it gets replaced.

My '08 UC was built in October of '07 and had the new shell...hence no replacement needed.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:01 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
FWIW, I don't think HD is not completely sure of the cut-off date. They are now looking at the production number on the fuel filter shell itself...under the 260 something range and it gets replaced.

My '08 UC was built in October of '07 and had the new shell...hence no replacement needed.
Once you open the tank and remove the filter assembly you can tell right off the bat if yours is the newly designed type or the older one that is failing. The new style has more material at the connection points where the canister and cover clip together. If you search this forum, you will find a post with the two side by side, and you can see the obvious difference in the two. So if the dealer is removing the filter canister to check a number right on it.....they could not even have to look at the number....just look at where the two pieces snap together, and that will give you a go/no go answer no matter what the numbers say.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Pine Tree

I would be very suspicious of that! The best way to tell is to remove the shell and look at where the fuel regulator fits in. There will be ribs in this area as shown here. The part number on the outside of the shell is the same for the old and new shell.

Attached Thumbnails fuel filter recall-new-shell.jpg