Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You better order if you want an 09

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 09:40 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default You better order if you want an 09

I was talking to Head of Sales today at the Dealer and I ask if he "sees enough bikes coming in for supple and demand". He said "No, it does not look good". I could see the pain of lost income in his eyes. then he said that he "heard they just called some back from lay-off, but had over 75 go into retirement".

I looked out back and 4 new bikes showed up today in crates...last year I saw 8 to 10 on a Fri. I don't know man it does not look good for these big show rooms. My dealership I go into could easily handle 80 bikes I believe I saw about 25 new and used on the floor today.

I am really not sure how I feel about all this...Does this mean my bike is not depreciating as quickly?

I live near the York Plant

Old 08-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be nice if that is true. With the economy the way it is I haven't heard of too many people buying large ticket items like bikes.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:58 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

Your not really buying this BS are you? They only cut production by what 27,000??? I seriously doubt they cut the expensive Touring bikes because those are the best sellers. If demand picks up again, don't sweat it, they will increase production. They are going to equalize supply and demand and try to grow in the process.

Just wait a few months....you will see those northern showrooms fill up with 2009s.

As far as calling back layed off workers...I think that is BS too. From what I recall, the reductions were permanent cuts not lay-offs. Let's also not forget that the 09 Touring frames don't require near as much labor to build. They have far fewer parts and are welded by robots. I believe this also contributed to the permanent labor reduction. Every time Harley makes a major change in design, labor is reduced. This isn't by accident. They have to keep margins improving while MSRP on bikes are increasing less than inflation (averaged accross all bikes). This too is by design.

No offense but I wouldn't put too much stock in what the salesman said...

Last edited by stratplexi; 08-29-2008 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:15 PM
The Nev
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do people keep saying the economy is bad. Man its great here, we have 3.5% unemployment, anyone not working here doesn't want to work, a high school drop out can make $20 bucks an hour. My house is worth 15% more then when I bought it 5 years ago whats wrong with the economy?

Old 08-29-2008, 10:19 PM
johnu
Cruiser

Funny how a politician claimed we were in a depression last night........the same day the news came out that the economy grew 3.3% in the 2nd qtr.... DUH!!!!

Old 08-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

My dealer is doing his best to sell me an '08 RGlide. Loaded with goodies and everytime I go in the price drops just a little more. I almost did it. And stillight do it. But I'm seriously interested in an '09 CVO Road Glide, so I asked about delivery. Wont be till around October and probably (!) going to have a dealer pop. 5K ? 10K? Didn't know that. I asked if I wrote it up today could I buy at MSRP. No trade, cash with a healthy deposit today? Didn't even want to go there with me. He went right back to that super nice '08.
I'm in a total luxury industry and yes business is slow. The bigger stuff, 500K + is moving a little, but lesser has stalled. Under 100K is dead.
I would think that the HD Dealer is concerned about October sales and would've been glad to write up a deal today. 32K is better sold today than possibly in Nov I should think.

Last edited by Yachtman; 08-29-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:31 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by johnu
Funny how a politician claimed we were in a depression last night........the same day the news came out that the economy grew 3.3% in the 2nd qtr.... DUH!!!!
It must have been a left wing Democrat.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:32 PM
Hoffy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Sacramento area of Ca is very large, hell its the capital city where Arny works. Yet the last few times I came down out of the mountains to the dealer I bought from hoping to catch a live glimpse of an 09 FLHX, the huge showroom had no 09's. Sometimes I wonder if they keep them in storage on purpose. probably a good thing I didnt see a 09 black pearl glide.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:40 PM
mrbuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yeah hoffy lots of dealers are hiding them try to sell you on an08 but if you push they'll give up the 09s

Old 08-29-2008, 11:05 PM
Roaddog359
Cruiser

got mine coming!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: You better order if you want an 09