Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A How-to Guide for Ape Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 03:21 PM
07FLHRCMarinePatriot
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

With the buy-more-stuff-for-the-bike season, er, winter season upon us there seems to be more and more posts about bar swaps, so I thought I'd bump this thread to the top . . .

Old 12-01-2008, 03:52 PM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This would have helped a couple of months ago.

Hardest part of the install for me was getting my big paws back to that dang little screw at the back of the nacelle.

Made a jury rigged tool to get it back in though.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:13 PM
07FLHRCMarinePatriot
Road Captain

Originally Posted by krusr
This would have helped a couple of months ago.

Hardest part of the install for me was getting my big paws back to that dang little screw at the back of the nacelle.

Made a jury rigged tool to get it back in though.
Sorry dude! It's been around since August - search, search, search!

Old 01-08-2009, 09:03 PM
bigdaddysdaddy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07FLHRCMarinePatriot
After just completing an install I figured I'd put together a how-to since a lot of people seem to always want info on such.

It was done on an 07 RKC. 16inch Wild 1 Chubby 509s were put on. It was definitely worth saving about $750 bucks doing it at my leisure!

On a scale of 1-5 (5 being equivalent to having your fingernails yanked without anesthetic) I'd put it at a 2. It would've been a 1 but playing with the exhaust to gain access to the clutch cover was a pain in the ***!

There are many ways to do it. This is only one. So don't hang me if you have better ideas - just share them for others to gain your pearls of wisdom.

If you guys like it let admin/moderators know and maybe they'll make it a "sticky" for future use.

Here's link (thanks Dawg) to file since it's too large to upload here:
http://www.box.net/shared/g6irgklvdl

Updated file 29 Aug with links on last page.
I try to do all my own wrenching. Get yourself some true duals, then all you need to remove is the heat shields for the clutch cables. What I thought was the most patience testing part was the installation of the new switches in the switch covers.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:38 PM
07FLHRCMarinePatriot
Road Captain
Question

I'm posting this question from one of our forum members in case others want to chime in. And in case others run into the same problem:

So, I got my apes on every thing works great, wash my bike off last night all my buddies on there's waiting for me get on the thing pull the clutch in drop it in gear let off the clutch, and it goes NO were. Mind you I hadnt ridden it yet. Try to adjust my clutch cable.....no go...pull the bike back in the garage rip the exhaust off, pull the clutch cover as soon as i pull that off i put it in gear, and it grabs the gear no problem??? so i leave it in gear buckle it all back together start it in first with the clutch in, go to let off the clutch...she starts to grab then....Nothing wont grab the gear....almost like my clutch is staying open. I re-read your DIY again and noticed you said " install the bar end first on the clutch cable to avoid having to much slack...."ask me how i know"" Did you already run into this problem, and if you did what the hel do i need to do to fix it....Im going to buy a shop manual but if you can help that would be great.!!! thanks brotha

My reply: You say you tried to adjust the cable so I assume you got all the slack out that you could when you did so, but still no go. So that tells me your problem is when you assembled the Outer ramp, Inner ramp, ***** and socket, coupling and retaining ring underneath the clutch release cover. This procedure is probably the most important to get right, which is why I said poeple need their service manual as the went through my DIY. I see your bike is a 99. My manual's for a 2007. I can scan and email the page to you in case there's no diff btwn our bikes.

p.s. to all - My DIY has been downloaded 574 times since I originally posted this thread - COOL!

Old 05-20-2010, 12:20 PM
07FLHRCMarinePatriot
Road Captain

Spring time, so ttt!

HD Forums must have this stickied somewhere cause it's been down loaded over 2000 times.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:54 PM
POPASICKBOY1
Banned

This thread was very helpful for my install , thanks

Old 11-20-2010, 03:57 PM
POPASICKBOY1
Banned

these are my 17inch apes love them

Attached Thumbnails A How-to Guide for Ape Install-img00167-20100729-1330.jpg  
Old 11-20-2010, 03:58 PM