Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose shift linkage, but on the trans side

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Hoffy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Loose shift linkage, but on the trans side

Finished my service today and noticed the linkage arm that slides on the shaft in the area between the primary and transmission is loose. The female end of the arm slides all the way out to the end of the shaft. I tried to tighten the hex bolt but its tight. I have read about the shifters getting loose on the shaft up front but not the one behind the primary in the back. Guess its back to the dealer for my 4th warranty trip in 10,000 miles.

Talked to service today. Evidently this is another one of those famous Harley problems that they refuse to rectify. The service guy told me loosen the hex, than move the bracket until its right up tight against the trany and than re-tighten because the edge of the bracket is suppose to sit in a groove. He said if that didnt work than bring it by and they will take a look at it. He said something about if its real bad they will have to tear into it. Does this mean they have to pull the primary to replace the stripped shaft?? Or does that shaft come out the other way from the box with the chrome top on it?

Last edited by Hoffy; 08-28-2008 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Hoffy
Road Master

Can someone tell me whats entailed if the rear shift shaft coming from tranny needs to be replaced?

Old 08-28-2008, 11:06 AM
helikenny
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loose linkage

Hoffy,
Usually loosening the bolt on the shifter arm and repositioning the arm on the shaft closer to the trans will be sufficient. Failing that, the tranny has to come apart to fix it. Also, Check to see if the retaining ring and washer is on the shiftershaft next to the tranny case (that's on pre '07's)not sure about the 07-08's

Old 08-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Hoffy
Road Master

Thanks a bunch helikenny, much appreciated. I removed the shifter rod for better access. I loosended the bolt and re-positioned it against the trany. There is a washer and retainer ring on the shaft. I re-tightened the hex bolt but man o man I thought it was going to break it turns real tuff. Its very tight, Id bet about 80 ft bls torque on that little screw, but it worked, barely. I tightened it alittle and re-checked, kept doing this until it iether broke the screw or tightened up the arm shaft. Fourtunatley the arm finaly tightened up. I dont think it will stay tight though. Is this something that can be re-positioned and re-tightened often or does it eventually lead to tearing into the trany?

Old 08-28-2008, 03:36 PM
Beeracuda
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went through this. They pulled (still have warranty) the inner primary and replaced the lever. They said the shaft was still good, but the lever was worn completely out....

Old 08-28-2008, 11:25 PM
Hoffy
Road Master

Originally Posted by Beeracuda
I just went through this. They pulled (still have warranty) the inner primary and replaced the lever. They said the shaft was still good, but the lever was worn completely out....
Thanks for the info.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:23 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Beeracuda
Another fairly common issue.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:30 AM
helikenny
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah Hoffy,
If it doesn't stay tight, have them put a new shifter arm,washer and retaining ring on the shaft......before your warranty expires. A new arm and bolt usually will do the trick if it re-occurs.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Hoffy
Road Master

Originally Posted by helikenny
yeah Hoffy,
If it doesn't stay tight, have them put a new shifter arm,washer and retaining ring on the shaft......before your warranty expires. A new arm and bolt usually will do the trick if it re-occurs.
helikenny, thanks again, good to know. Ya know its funny that these little "issues" that creep up really yell out "HD NEWBIE HERE" but guys like you that take the time to "help a broth'a out", for those of us that are learning to do our own wrenching, not only teach us about our bikes but also teach us about helping each other out. I may not be too much assistance to a down bike on the side of the rode but I sure as hell can still stop and offer a ride or something. I have been on bikes for 40 years but obviuosly this is my first HD. But I have to say, if it wasnt for these forums and some of the experianced, helpul and friendly members giving us the heads up I would learn about my glide much. much slower.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:07 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

The problem is unfortunatly common and HD is complelty retarded for not redesigning the inner primary to make replacement of the shaft easier (imho) ! After replacing one within 10k, I got completly and totally pissed off and mofified the inner primary so that the new shaft went on with a grade 8 bolt with red locktite on it and a grade 8 locknut with deformed threads on it so it could never back the f*ck off! 35k later and it's still on there damn tight and it's one less thing to worry about now...

If they have not done it yet, ask the tech to put a bolt with a regular hex head on it for you vs. the crappy stock bolt that comes with it. Then when you get it back, remove the bolt , lay on the red locktite and cinch it back down with a socket/ ratchet combo.

Quick Reply: Loose shift linkage, but on the trans side