Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose shift linkage, but on the trans side

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 08:41 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

betterlever .com, its a 2 piece with 2 bolts.first thing i did on my 07 was replace the stock bolt with a grade 8 bolt then tighten the crap out of it no problems,if it gets a little loose it will wear the knurl(thats the teeth) and you will never get it tight enough.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:48 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

There's got to be another option cuz your right, its a PITA getting into that spot. What year bikes does this problem exist with all years or just some older ones? That lever link says 5 speed transmissions, six speed apply or again was the problem apparent in the 5speeds?

Old 11-16-2011, 08:50 PM
Eric Moore
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

for those out of warrenty this is a unit that replaces the stocker... looks pretty good.. HD should have done this..
http://betterlever.com/index.php

Old 11-16-2011, 09:15 PM
highmarket
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoffy
Finished my service today and noticed the linkage arm that slides on the shaft in the area between the primary and transmission is loose. The female end of the arm slides all the way out to the end of the shaft. I tried to tighten the hex bolt but its tight. I have read about the shifters getting loose on the shaft up front but not the one behind the primary in the back. Guess its back to the dealer for my 4th warranty trip in 10,000 miles.

Talked to service today. Evidently this is another one of those famous Harley problems that they refuse to rectify. The service guy told me loosen the hex, than move the bracket until its right up tight against the trany and than re-tighten because the edge of the bracket is suppose to sit in a groove. He said if that didnt work than bring it by and they will take a look at it. He said something about if its real bad they will have to tear into it. Does this mean they have to pull the primary to replace the stripped shaft?? Or does that shaft come out the other way from the box with the chrome top on it?

Hoffy

Take the hex out and put some greece on the threads of the bolt, it well help increase the torque on the arm around the shaft of the trans before you end up stripping it bout!!!

Old 11-17-2011, 07:20 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Over tightening the bolt will not help if the splines are worn out.
Replace the worn parts(shift arm and or shift shaft)or use the Better Lever.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:43 AM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

FYI, If the arm takes a dump after warranty the primary is relatively easy to remove if you have the manual. This is my 1st HD and I just replaced my drive belt and compensator. Not that big a deal. Got a lot of good info here also from Iclick.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:21 AM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

mine 10 roadglide did the same thing, usually you cannot reposition without messing up the shaft from the tranny the bolt is supposed to go through a groove in the shaft and keep it from sliding in or out the groove ,and clamping force is what keep it from ratcheting or slipping on the spliens when shifting, mine just needed the hex bolt replaced .the shaft with the external spline were fine( if that shaft is stripped yes the tranny come out to fix) but you can replace the bolt and even the shift arm with out pulling the primary, take the bolt out not just looses i slide through a groove on the shaft and will not come of it the bolt is in the hole, , then slide the shift lever outward and if you keep it square to the outer primary it should lift out, and be able to be replaced
at least on a roadglide. the 2 piece sounds interesting if the shaft is messed up though. b

Last edited by SIDECAR BOB; 11-17-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:21 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

I'm liking the bolt with a nut idea, slip a bolt thru then screw a nut on the other side.....would anyone have an idea what size and length bolt I would need....I'm going in that direction once I figure out the measurements.....thanks for the response.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:12 AM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The betterlever website says if you have a six speed, the stock lever will come off with out removing the primary.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:58 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by RAP
The betterlever website says if you have a six speed, the stock lever will come off with out removing the primary.
After reading Rap's caption above and tired of waiting for someone in the know to throw me a bone with a bolt measurement, I jacked my 2011 up to the second stop on my HF yellow lift and stuck my head underneath. Rap is right if I had to I could remove the 'lever' if I was so inclined which in my case in unnecessary. I also checked to see if there was any issues with my 'splines'. Mine appears pretty tight with zero slop on the splines. The replacement bolt would need to be 1 1/2" allowing for washers and a lock-nut. I took the shift pedal off to see what size bolt I would need since the bolt that holds that on it's spline is identical but shorter. The Allen bolt on the tranny side is approx 1". If I put the bolt in from the bottom there should be ample room at the upper side for the meatier length of the bolt. I'm going to take pics of everything when I do it so we can add this to the DIY database for anyone wanting to do this in the future. Thanks to those who assisted me with data collection you know who you are.

Quick Reply: Loose shift linkage, but on the trans side